Cannot change screen brightness Zorin 16 notebook

Do I need to reboot or it works automatically?

It is a GUI app - should appear in your app menu after installation is complete.

1 Like

It works but it doesn't integrate with gnome's brightness and Zorin Os theme because the application is not dark theme control. Sad

I believe it is built with the QT toolkit.

If you want a brightness controller that integrates with Gnomes controls, a gnome-extension may be the way to go.

Hmm ok I will install gnome tweaks and maybe try some extension, yes it's a QT application I always don't like that two toolkits look weird, when I was using KDE I always cringed when I see a GTK application on KDE

I understand completely. I am the same way. You can use qt5ct to make QT apps use gtk themes on Zorin OS.

Ussually I just completely avoid QT apps because they look really off, I once saw my brother using dolphin on Gnome and I just can't

1 Like

I don't know if it will help you, but there is a brightness control keyboard function shortcut fix in the tutorials section of this forum.

2 Likes

Is it this?

[HOW TO] Enable Screen Brightness Function Key Combinations (Zorin 15.3)

Yes. But before you try that would you run uname -r. And place the output into the following command at the end:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure [uname output]

Once you start typing Linux-kernel and hit tab it should auto complete.

It's a simple possible fix that's safe to try (won't break anything i mean).

2 Likes

linux for hardware support has always had various glitches, my oled monitor in zorin can not adjust the brightness, but also need to use third-party methods to be able to, but pop os can perfectly support oled monitors, but pop os also has a disadvantage for the thunderbolt 3 support is not too good.

I heard that the kernel above 5.13 supports oled displays to adjust the brightness, I upgraded my kernel, but still can not adjust the brightness

Did you try rebuilding the kernel? What version is your kernel?

1 Like

My kernel is 5.13

I just switched kernels, I didn't rebuild them

You are a godsend! I will be mentioning this in my next post as its important!

NOT WORKING!
$ uname -r
5.11.0-38-generic
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure 5.11.0-38-generic
[sudo] Passwort für:
dpkg-query: Paket »5.11.0-38-generic« ist nicht installiert und es ist keine Information verfügbar
Verwenden Sie dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) zum Untersuchen von Archiven.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: 5.11.0-38-generic ist nicht installiert

GIVES AN ERROR NOT AVAILABLE!!!

What exactly did you mean?

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-
linux-base
linux-firmware
linux-generic-hwe-20.04
linux-headers-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-headers-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-headers-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-headers-generic-hwe-20.04
linux-hwe-5.11-headers-5.11.0-27
linux-hwe-5.11-headers-5.11.0-34
linux-hwe-5.11-headers-5.11.0-38
linux-image-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-image-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04
linux-libc-dev
linux-modules-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-modules-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-modules-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-modules-nvidia-390-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-modules-nvidia-390-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-modules-nvidia-390-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-modules-nvidia-390-generic-hwe-20.04
linux-objects-nvidia-390-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-objects-nvidia-390-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-objects-nvidia-390-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-signatures-nvidia-5.11.0-27-generic
linux-signatures-nvidia-5.11.0-34-generic
linux-signatures-nvidia-5.11.0-38-generic
linux-sound-base

Brightness controller can be installed, but fails to set maximum brightness.
screen is still not at full brightness, even though the brightness bar ist at 100%

I do understand your frustration with something that doesn't work for you, but you come two months after the fact and we're supposed to know one who you are, and two what your technical issue is? Are you certain these instructions match your issue?

Please make sure you read through Introduction to Hardware Support - Please Review before posting, as well as FAQ - Zorin Forum, and lastly Introduction to General Help - Please Review before posting - #3.

Now that there is some context and civility... welcome to the forum, how may I assist you?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Marked solution. 277