Cannot connect to WiFi

Hi,

I know this has been asked a lot but none of the solutions seem to work. I'm extremely new to linux so I might need a detailed explanation. I got a fresh image of zorin os core and booted from it, all fine. However, I cannot connect to WiFi. It simply says 'No WiFi adapter found'. I am using a Lenovo legion 5 pro. The brightness also does not work but that is a little less important. Some guidance would be appreciated,

Thanks

Hi, we need soem more information:
open the terminal

lspci -k -nn | grep -A 3 -i net

and post the output of this command.

Are you saying you are booting Live USB in "Try ZorinOS" mode, or have you done an install?

Also please reply to Storm's question above.

I've installed it from the usb

Sorry it is an image, but I can't access this forum from the device to copy and paste it in!

OKay you need to do something complicated to get it to work, but if you follow it to the letter it should work (hopefully). You have to compile the drivers for your card.
First make sure you are connected to the net with cable and make sure that Secure boot is off in BIOS.
Next make sure everything is upgraded;

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Now to installation of building tools;

sudo apt-get install make gcc linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential git

Downloading, compile and install of the ddriver;

git clone git://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89.git
cd rtw89
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -v rtw89pci

Reboot

Downside; Everytime the kernel gets and update you need to recompile the driver.

1 Like

Other option is to try a newer kernel;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline -y
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-5.15

If kernel 5.15 lts doesn't works try 5.16

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-5.16
2 Likes

This worked like a charm, I'm currently writing from zorin :slight_smile: Thanks again for your prompt and informative help

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.