Cannot delete the new created folders in my USB

I have recently installed Zorin OS with my USB, when I plug the USB back in it has 2 new folders create labeled:
writable
Zorin OS 16.2 Core 64bit

I am trying to switch to windows 10 since Zorin isn't really my thing but I can't get those folders removed is there any way to fix this?

Have you tried formatting the USB?

You 'burned' the Zorin OS .ISO file to the USB stick. So what you're seeing is normal.

The 'Zorin OS 16.2 Core 64bit' partition is what you boot from when you boot into the Live (ie: not installed) version of Zorin OS.

The 'writable' partition is the left-over space on the USB stick. The 'Zorin OS 16.2 Core 64bit' will save the logs (from each time you boot the USB stick) to this partition, you can delete those whenever you like.

If you want to get rid of all that, you'd delete those partitions, or zero the drive. Let's say the drive is /dev/sdc:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=512 status=progress

Then you can re-partition the USB stick to whatever you want, and put whatever you want on it.

Now, obviously, you cannot delete the partitions on the USB while booted from the USB, and if you don't have an OS installed on your computer already, you'll have to use another computer to delete the USB stick's partitions (or zero the USB stick), and 'burn' another .ISO file to the USB stick.

If you have an android phone, you can connect a USB-A adapter (otg dongle) and format the drive through your file browser or settings -> storage. Once done you can install Ventoy and drop the iso into the drive.... then connect to the laptop and install window$.

1 Like

You can reformat the USB drive in the Disks program. Choose FAT.

You will find that Balena Etcher won't burn a Windows iso tho. So just install Ventoy on the USB stick and add the Windows iso.

d/l the Ventoy tar.gz file and extract it. Click VentoyGUI.x86_64. I think Ventoy will reformat the USB drive for you.

Why not try Tiny11b?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.