Cannot Display Custom Icon for AppImage on Taskbar

Hello Zorin Community,

I'm having trouble getting a custom icon to show up for an AppImage application (Luna Modeler) in the taskbar. The application launches fine, but it displays a generic icon instead of the custom one I've set up. I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions to resolve this issue.

Here are the details of my setup and what I've tried so far:

1. AppImage and Icon Files:
odiseo@thinkpad:~$ ls -lah ~/Softwares/Luna\ Modeler/
total 124M
drwxr-xr-x 2 odiseo odiseo 4,0K ene 29 00:12  .
drwxrwxr-x 3 odiseo odiseo 4,0K ene 28 14:30  ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 odiseo odiseo  27K ene 28 14:29  icon.png
-rwxr-xr-x 1 odiseo odiseo 123M ene 28 14:18 'Luna Modeler-7.5.2-x86_64.AppImage'
  1. Icon Details:
odiseo@thinkpad:~$ identify ~/Softwares/Luna\ Modeler/icon.png
/home/odiseo/Softwares/Luna Modeler/icon.png PNG 512x512 512x512+0+0 8-bit sRGB 27005B 0.000u 0:00.000
  1. Desktop File:
odiseo@thinkpad:~$ ls -lah ~/.local/share/applications
total 20K
drwx------  2 odiseo odiseo 4,0K ene 28 21:19 .
drwx------ 23 odiseo odiseo 4,0K ene 28 23:40 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 odiseo odiseo  391 ene 28 23:38 LunaModeler.desktop

Content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Luna Modeler
Comment=Intuitive database design and modeling tool supporting various database systems, offering a visual interface for easy database creation and management.
Icon="/home/odiseo/Softwares/Luna Modeler/icon.png"
Exec="/home/odiseo/Softwares/Luna Modeler/Luna Modeler-7.5.2-x86_64.AppImage"
Terminal=false
Categories=Development;Database;IDE;
  1. Issue:
  • When I search for Luna Modeler using the Super (Win) key, a generic icon appears instead of the custom icon.

• The application launches correctly when clicked.
  • If pinned to the taskbar, it still shows the generic icon.

I followed the standard procedure for creating a .desktop file and ensuring the AppImage and icon are executable. However, the custom icon isn't being displayed as expected. Any insights into what might be causing this issue or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Note: Interestingly, the custom icon displays correctly in the file manager when viewing the file ~/.local/share/applications/LunaModeler.desktop . This indicates that the desktop file and icon are recognized correctly in some parts of the system, but not in the taskbar or the application menu.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Odiseo

It looks like you are referring to a tray icon. The normal icon can and will display as you set it. However, the tray icon is a different icon. Some even say, "example_tray.svg" in the icon name.

To set it, you would need to have the Luna Modeler tray icon added to your icon themes applications directory.

Try this

• Go to /usr/share/applications/ as a root user
  • Find the .desktop file of Luna Modeler and open it
  • Add this line

Icon="/home/odiseo/Softwares/Luna\ Modeler/icon.png"

• Save changes, Logout & Login again, Check the icon in taskbar

Unfortunately that didn't work.

Where do I get that tray icon? what requirements should it meet? what should be its location? on top of configuring the icon in the .desktop file, do I have to do any extra config in the system?, is there any documentation about it?

Thanks!

The application sets the icon name itself. It does this by calling on that name. If that name does not exist in the existing icon set, then the system will default to a generic icon. In some cases, the "image-missing" icon can appear if that application is not coded to fallback to generic.
Some applications call on an icon on a set coded path, rather than from the system icon theme. For more on this, see below.

Normally, placing the icon in the system icon theme folders is all the configuration that you need. However, this can vary depending on the application maker.
Many app makers see the icon and even the over-all theme of an app as their applications brand image. They do not want users changing the icon or the theme of the app window. To this end, they hide the icon and theme in a binary file, use proton to code it or various other means to lock the user out.
This makes changing the icon or theme on some apps difficult to impossible.
This makes documentation spotty or hard to find.
Noisy users telling application makers to not restrict software and to protect free open source are essential to quelling such over-reach and Control.

I would need to get a copy of LunaModeler to try to determine this information - but if it is an appimage, it will have its icons Self-Contained. That is the purpose of an appimage, so that it can be cross-platform and carry many of its dependencies along with it.

but I have seen multiple videos in Youtube about changing the taskbar icon of AppImage applications via the .desktop file. I don't see any reason why Luna Modeler won't allow that. Specially when a generic non-sense icon is used as follback.

Hello,

I had so many AppImage desktop integration issues, I become an expert now, :laughing:. I would be happy to help with this one.
First, could you rename icon.png to luna.png and placing it in /home/odiseo/.local/share/icons/luna.png
Second, modify your icon entry in ~/.local/share/applications/LunaModeler.desktop
to

Icon=/home/odiseo/.local/share/icons/luna.png

You want to avoid spaces in the absolute path so no need for escape character (\) or putting the path in double quote("").

If you want avoid to manually creating your .desktop for AppImages, there is Gear Lever an AppImage manager that take care of your AppImage desktop integration. it's quite convenient.

Even with Gear Lever some AppImages icon won't show up in the Taskbar or in the Apps menu. Then you have to troubleshoot the .desktop file.

Let me know if this help or need further assistance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.