Can't able to install mysql again

FrenchPress's suggestion of using Synaptic to remove and reinstall or repair broken packages is a good one. Have you used Synaptic before?

no , i didn;t used it yet

pls help , how can i do that?

To install Synaptic

sudo apt install synaptic

Then you can open Synaptic from your app menu. You will be prompted for a password since Synaptic must access Root. Once open, look at the Vertical Left Pane- toward the bottom are buttons;
Sections
Status
Origin...
Click on Custom Filters. On the Upper portion of the Side Pane, you will see
All
Broken...
Click on Broken.
If you have broken packages, you will see them listed- Right Click on the package to select your option.

Otherwise:
Open Synaptic, then click the Search Button on the Top Toolbar. Type in mysql.
It will list your mysql packages and show whether they are Installed, Broken, etc. You can right click for options such as "Remove Completely."
You must then hit the Apply button on the top toolbar.
If able to remove them, you can search again for mysql and then select the mysql packages with a right Click and choose install.
You must then hit the Apply button on the top toolbar.

The Package list on Synaptic can be confusing when you first start using it. I remember the first time I used Synaptic, I was so bewildered, I almost never used it again. But it is easy to learn- feel free to post screenshots of what packages are listed if you would like to confirm your steps as you go.

1 Like

Did you also remove the old installation before the re-installation?

1 Like

yes , perfectly ,

just now i removed mysql , again followed by ur link

hope it will work

one more thing is that , whenever i m removing mysql,
it also removes system settings

only tweak is present

here i have to do :
sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

2 Likes

Annoying, isn't it!? You're not the only one that experiences that. Since inter-dependencies apply, this happens to everyone that installs mysql. it can be a bit of a shock.

2 Likes

I wanted to keep my main machine as simple as possible. My solution was to setup Raspberry Pi server and install mySQL on it.

i dont understand this properly,
for doing this i have to buy a Raspberry pi?
and to open mysql , everytime i have to reboot my pc ??

It is not mandatory to use Raspberry pi to setup a server. You can install it on any system that can run Linux.

But for energy consumption, it is way more economical to use single board computers such as RasPi since the server has to be on 24 hours a day.

I have installed MXLinux for RasPi4 + LAMP stack and using it as a WordPress server.

I access to this server with VNC, ssh or web interface (phpMyAdmin).

but i want to install mysql so that i can use while online class , so if i m going to install new os , means i have to install browser , and google meet setup n all , even i hv duall booted this , i don't want to go on windows 10 side to use mysql

I am bit lost. I do not have Windows on this main machine and never need Windows to access the server.

1 Like

i dont hv any broken package,

yes , i typed mysql on search box so i got tooo many files , i don't think i hv to remove those pls see:-

i will be in problem after deleting all these files :joy: :sweat_smile:
how to remove if any mysql file is there ,

To compare, I also took a screenshot of Synaptic in my WP server:

There could be some differences since MXLinux is Debian base, not Ubuntu base.

1 Like

And this is a screenshot of Synaptic in main machine which has no mySQL. Curiously, there are some mySQL files installed already without me doing anything.

hmm, now without removing anything ,

also i have removed mysql files

as this above link said ,

i m going to install mysql again , hope it will be ok

As far as I know, you should be able to completely remove and re-instal those files provided they are included in the repository.

I think you made the same mistake I made which was deleting the server without properly stopping it. This would leave a bunch of locked files which in turn, prevent re-installation.

Since my server was on a microSD card, I just wiped it and started over rather than fixing it. I could not do the same if it were on my production machine. One more reason to use a separate network server :wink:

1 Like

thanks to all of u , i got my solution , but i can't prefer one answer,
nothing i removed from synaptic .
just i removed mysql properly and installed again

1 Like

I think it is so-called "collective wisdom".
Three heads are better than one!
I think you gave us enough hearts to show your appreciation :wink:

Hopefully the clean re-installation works out for you.

1 Like

The top six mysql items in Synaptic from your screenshot were marked with the Green "installed" icon. Those would have been the only things you needed to remove.