Can't connect to WiFi on 16 Lite

I am dual booting Win 7 HP & Zorin 16 Lite and can'me It connect to the internet .... I see my established connection that I have been using on Zorin 16 Pro .... Win 10 and Win 7 HP but every time I try to connect it asks for my password and the password is already typed there .... I click the Connect Button and after about 15 sec it comes back and tells me to install the same password that is already in the box .....

All this is in the Authentication Required by WiFi Network message that pops up on the screen after I try to manually connect .... it never auto connects .... this is driving me nut as I can't update or install any programs or install Cinnamon DE ....

I hate to admit this but this happened 2 days ago and I had to remove Lite and at the same time I managed to corrupt Win 7 HP and had to format the HD and start from scratch .... just got 7 installed yesterday and installed Zorin Lite this morning and same problem ..... can't connect to the internet ....

I didn't install WiFi during Lite reinstall but did include other software .... I also opened Advanced he same Network Configurations in both Zorin Pro on the Asus and the same on Zorin Lite on the Acer .... I tried to make all the settings the same but using to different DE's doesn't work to well .... that's why I need Cinnamon installed on my Acer running Zorin Lite ....

Anyway if you have any advice please let me know but as for right now I'm going to shut both laptops down for the rest of the day until tomorrow ..... :face_with_head_bandage: :face_with_head_bandage: :face_with_head_bandage:

Anything here help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wireless-noconnection.html.en

Whilst this issue related to wired it might help?:

(Zorin 16 Lite = xubuntu 20.04)

Also check if MAC filtering is on your router. If you do a fresh install the MAC filtering might need updating?

Disable IPv6?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2050326#p2050326

(My ISP doesn't allow IPv6, only IPv4)

1 Like

swarfendor437 thanks for the reply .... the problems mentioned in the first article are exactly how mine is acting so I will look more closely at their solutions .....

Scanned the second one quickly but will give it a more in depth look ....

I keep IPv6 off on all my devices as I read something years ago that said to do it but I can't remember why ...

Always before when restarting my connection (and there have been a lot of times on both versions of Zorin) mostly due to my WiFi card shutting down .... when restarting would ask for the 8 digit number on the back of my router and then connect .... never the 16 digit password that is assigned to that connection and displayed in the WiFi settings ....

But like I said this is on a different computer and running 16 Lite .....

Is there a way for me to copy Cinnamon on my 16 Pro on my Asus and transferring it to Lite on the Acer .... if there is where is the app located so I can copy and past to a thumb drive and transfer it .....

If you install cinnamon desktop, you can copy over from the other computer the /.cinnamon directory.

Well I guess I need to close this topic out as apparently all this trouble was caused by human error ..... and all I'm gong to say about that is .....when you change a password on your router REMEMBER IT CORRECTLY ..... problem solved ....

I discovered this after I had installed and uninstalled Zorin Lite a dozen or more times .... I finally decided to install Zorn Pro on there and when that didn't connect to my WiFi I starting looking more closely and discovered the problem .... DUH ....

A bunch of other problems were also solved with Pro ... my screenshot clicks now ..... Cinnamon is up and running and some others that i can't think of now .... anyway I'm going to leave Pro installed along side Win 7 HP as I have enough disk space at 200GB as Pro will only be used as a back up should my Pro on Asus go down for some reason (like human error) and I can have a means to log into Zorin on a working system to trouble shoot the other ....

Thanks to all you folks that took the time to try and solve my problem and I will mark this case solved .... :beers: :beers:

I did want to mention it but thought it might upset you - yet another example of PICNIC! (Problem In Chair, Not in Computer!) :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.