Cant get BCM4311 to work on live dvd

Hello, my HP DV6205US will not connect to the internet. I am running Zorin OS 15.3 Lite 32-Bit (The CPU is only 32 Bit.) off of a DVD and the adapter just will not function. It is being detected by lspci as "Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)" and I just cannot get it to work. I dont really feel like installing zorin unless I can get Wi-Fi Working or if I need to install to get Wi-Fi Working. (P.S. The laptop does have a ethernet port so I can access the internet if I need to download anything.)

Can you please connect to the ethernet, then open terminal and run

sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer

Then,

sudo reboot

test your wireless...

I am currently running off of a live DVD so rebooting would remove those changes and I really dont feel like installing unless it is fully necessary. Is there any other way that I could apply that package without rebooting my PC?

Had no idea that you were commenting on the Trial Demo.
You can try the following:

sudo service network-manager restart

Or

nmcli radio wifi off

Followed by:

nmcli radio wifi on

Alternatively:

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

Did not work :frowning: Also I ran dmesg and found these error messages. They seem pretty important and I think they may be the answer to fixing this.
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

Had you tried this?

I looked at the website but i dont seem to see a download link. I did install firmware-b43-installer which is what I think this website wants me to install but it did not do anything.

Can you please open a terminal and run

sudo apt update

Then post the output here?

I am running into a similar issue on an iMac. My hardware from OSX is:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xF4)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.190.33
AirPortDriverBrcm4360-1601.1)
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Can someone guide me step by step how to get wifi working on live USB. Like OP, I am not keen on installing it on the Mac without confirming the wifi will work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.