Can't mount network share as read/write

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

Also, try using
/media/NAS/8TBSeagateFilme (you will need to make the / pt sudo mkdir)
Instead of:
/mnt/8TBSeagateFilme

Thank you sir :slight_smile: Seems like I had cifs utilities installed already, but that's an interesting point!

Could you maybe craft me the path from my bits? I'm too tired to get the variables tonight :smiley:

What should be the /media part and what the /NAS part?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong btw! I can access the shares from within the file manager on my (Zorin) computer. Just not by other programs that desperately need write privileges :confused: So I figured it must have had something to do that it's not properly mounted. Btw the name of the entire NAS is "kleinegeileslut" :smiley: Or let's say it's the servers' name

sudo mkdir /media/backups

Replace nnn.nnn... with the actual I.P. address

//nnn.nnn.n.nnn/kleinegeileslut /media/kleinegeileslut cifs vers=1.0,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,username=Donatus,password=(redacted) 0 0

I wonder if it would work better without the user/pass and rely on your Home Directory access for the security... It may, but you must decide the essential parts of your security.

Is this correct?

//myIP/kleinegeileslut /media/kleinegeileslut cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,username=Donatus,password=(redacted) 0 0

It prints an error:

Bildschirmfoto von 2021-08-26 01-02-35

Thank you for the previous redaction btw :pray: Too quick

Also: That other, less secure way sounds interesting. How would I go about that?

I messed up... sorry...

sudo mkdir /media/kleinegeileslut

//nnn.nnn.n.nnn/kleinegeileslut/media/kleinegeileslut cifs vers=1.0,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,username=Donatus,password=(redacted) 0 0

No issue man! :heart:

That's what I've already done, but it gives the above error anyways.

There's the mount point missing, isn't it? What I did was

//192.168.178.35/kleinegeileslut /media/kleinegeileslut cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,username=Donatus,password=(redacted) 0 0

and it still prints this error:

You can find that here:

1 Like

Thank you man! I will try that prior to keep fumbling with fstab, as I don't see any way out of my misery at the moment :smiley: I'll let you know soon how it went :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can't be awake long enough to be up all night to get lucky :joy: Fml.

This nfs method is now giving me this error:

And this is my fstab entry:
192.168.178.35:/8TBSeagateFilme /media/NAS/8TBSeagateFilme nfs defaults 0 0

I also ran

sudo apt install nfs-common

prior to this. Any thoughts again?

Hey therrre! I did it!!!! It's working! I can't believe it :joy: The catch was that - for the NFS share - the mounting path cannot be /share1, but /volume1/share1. After that I was able to mount it through fstab and all worked well. I was able to grant write permissions as easy as an angel in the dark, so all good now on this end :heart:

1 Like

Hahaha, I see what you did there @Aravisian :joy:

It was me changing to something more pleasant.

3 Likes

My apologies. I'll watch my language from now on :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

We are striving to make this forum a Family/Kids safe environment. The tolerance level for crude/coarse language is very low. If you ever got blocked by a sensor bot, please consider rephrasing the expression.

1 Like

Oh! I didn't know this is a family/kids place as well :see_no_evil: In this case it won't happen again. As a father of 3 I know how to watch my mouth :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, we've just spotted 15 years old Linux user here :wink:
We should be their role models.

1 Like

We definitely should and will be :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.