Can't try Zorin

I can't even try Zorin since the iso apps either don't support Windows 7 or simply don't work.

Have you tried rufus, with the mbr/gpt partition option, fat32 with a dd write?

It may be different for your system, but modifying the settings, not using gpt or ntfs can make a difference in results with the live image.

Another avenue, that is OS independent, is Ventoy.

Rufus doesn't support Win 7 and Ventoy did nothing when I tried it. Weirdly, when I used Unetbootin the inf file was labeled ventoy but that is the one that wasn't recognized as a bootable drive.

You can try using a friend's/ work computer to set up Ventoy on the drive.

Another avenue, providing you use an android, is use an OTG USB adapter and set up Ventoy there... or any of the other android apps that will create bootable USB drives.

You can also place the iso on a formatted partition, load and run it from the recovery cmd prompt at boot (possibly, never done this myself).

Another way is to extract the iso, place the vmlinux and the kernel at the root of the drive and it should boot (there are tutorials online of how to accomplish this).

You will have to be creative as no one is going to create software for windows 7 anymore.

You could try it with the portable Version of Balena Etcher. Or You could try the Fedora Media Writer. That works with other Distro's, too. But You need the downloaded iso of the Distro.

There is a portable version of rufus also.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.