Change Behaviour of When I close the lid of Laptop Zorin OS 16

Sir, In Window 10 there is option of close lid action:

Sir, In Zorin OS 16 Is there any of changing action of close lid ?

This link may be worth a look. Whilst referring to Ubuntu 18.04 it should not be much different in Unbuntu 20.04 or ZorinOS 16.

Tips on Ubuntu – 28 Apr 18

How to Change Lid Close Action in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - Tips on Ubuntu

In Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome desktop, there’s no option in Settings utility for configuring laptop lid close actions. And Gnome Tweaks only offer a switch to enable / disable ‘Suspend when laptop lid is closed’. For those who want it automatic shutdown,...

2 Likes

i don't know man when I see my file:

kedric@kp-laptop:/etc/systemd$ cat logind.conf
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
# You can change settings by editing this file.
# Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file.
#
# See logind.conf(5) for details.

[Login]
#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
#KillUserProcesses=no
#KillOnlyUsers=
#KillExcludeUsers=root
#InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
#HandlePowerKey=poweroff
#HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
#HandleLidSwitch=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes
#HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
#RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
#RemoveIPC=yes
#InhibitorsMax=8192
#SessionsMax=8192

All my options are # hashed, I'm confused. I will maybe try it(on another machine of course)

The hashtag comments out a line to tell the system to ignore it. Removing the hashtag tells the system to not ignore the line, but to implement it.

2 Likes

Yes I know, but my lines are all hastaged(#). So if I tell the computer to ignore everything, then why my computer still suspend when lid is closed? I'm confused.

Your confusion is understandable. But the system looks in more places than just that one file. That file is given Priority; then the settings are set to ignore. That way, any other default settings are seen when that file has the hashtag, but by removing the hashtag, a user can Take Control with the higher priority file and override default settings.
That file puts all those settings in one place. It allows easy access to it by the user or by a GUI application that contains settings. It is in a format the user can alter, unlike other settings that are default contained within binary files that the common user cannot access and read.

1 Like

So there just a bunch of files telling the computer what to do? And there is another file that is telling the Computer to suspend when lid is closed other than this one?

Lots of different applications in binary format tell the computer what to do. If they all had their way, the computer would be having a seizure.
It is necessary to have the applications be able to tell the computer what to do - but only when the need applies to the situation. So, this is limited by other files, redirecting control to where it needs to be.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.