Changes in .desktop file does not take effect

If I modify a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/ and modify it, the change is not reflected in my Taskbar

After that, if I run update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications/, even then the change is not reflected in my Taskbar.

I have to run killall -3 gnome-shell for the changes to take effect.

Is there any better way to reload the .desktop file changes?

How about Alt+F2 and then r

This does the exact same thing (restart gnome-shell). I am looking for just reloading the .desktop file.

update-desktop-database only updates the mime types handled by your applications. Nothing else. What changes do you expect to see? For changes, you may have to log out and log back in, or even restart.

If I add some Actions= then I would like to see them when I right click on the particular application. I mean if I make any change in the .desktop file , I want a command that will absorb the changes and reflect on my machine.

For example, if I make any change in /usr/share/applications, it immediately shows. This is not true for ~/.local/share/applications/, at least in my machine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.