Changing Plymouth splash screen

Hi, I just want to know, is it possible to change the splash screen boot animation on Zorin?
Thanks

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customize-boot-splash-screen-logo-linux/

3 Likes

Absolutely and I used to make my own custom one until the Zorin 15 splash.
Now, I use the Zorin 15 splash screen on Zorin 16, as I prefer it.

2 Likes

@swarfendor437 unfortunately I can't open that website it says "This site can’t be reached, ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

@Aravisian since you already use custom plymouth, would you like to tech me how to change it? or even make my own custom plymouth? thanks.

Yes, any user can change the Plymouth theme by placing their preferred theme in the directory
/usr/share/plymouth/themes
Making your own custom theme is more involved than a post will cover, so for now, let's try searching for an appealing theme you like.
I prefer the Zorin OS 15 splash (The following is a download link):
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/plymouth-theme-zorin-logo_2.2_all.deb

Running the above .deb will install the theme, so all you would need to do is go about applying it using the steps below under Application of Theme.

If you prefer a different user made custom theme, you can search for them here:

For those not downloaded as a .deb self-installer, you must extract the file contents to /usr/share/plymouth/themes, then open a terminal to apply the theme.

Application of theme

sudo update-alternatives --install

/usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth

In the below, change EXAMPLE with the actual theme name as it appears in the directory you moved:

/usr/share/plymouth/themes/EXAMPLE/EXAMPLE.plymouth 100

Choose the theme you wish to use:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

Look for the theme name from above listed in the numbered list and look at the corresponding number. Let's say that the new theme you installed is listed as number 2
Then you will enter in 2 in the terminal after the line asking you to enter the selection number.

Once done, you must update the system configuration so that the changes you made take effect:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot and test...

1 Like

Blockquote Yes, any user can change the Plymouth theme by placing their preferred theme in the directory
/usr/share/plymouth/themes
Making your own custom theme is more involved (...)

Wow that's a loot, I really thanks to you for your assist bro. :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.