CHKDSK initiated every time on Win7 boot

So I installed Zorin OS 16 on my computer and every time I boot into Windows 7 it will check my disk it's so annoying, I can't even find a way to disable this.

The only reason I hav Windows 7 still is that this is a family laptop and my family don't know how to use Linux.

My family is getting mad at me for making them have to wait like 3 minutes every time they boot into Windows 7, pls help

Laptop Spec:
Host: Aspire S3 1.15
Kernel: 5.11.0-27-generic
Uptime: 2 hours, 6 mins
Packages: 2473 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.0.17
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: GNOME
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: ZorinBlue-Dark
Theme: ZorinBlue-Dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: ZorinBlue-Dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i5-2467M (4) @ 2.300GHz
GPU: Intel 2nd Generation Core Proce
Memory: 1837MiB / 3784MiB

The title of this thread does not describe the problem, so could do with an edit. I will hold off doing that just yet until we see where this goes.

I assume you select Windows 7 from (dual-boot) grub menu and there is a 3 min delay before W7 comes up?
How do you know it is doing a disk check. Is anything displayed during this time.
Have you checked what is set to run at Startup on W7 is as expected?

Chdsk or something will check my disk for like 3 minutes because it found another partition which is not NTFS.

Hmmm. Not something I encounter on my dual-boot.
Have you looked at Event Viewer. Can you see any evidence of the cause?

According to this thread on tenforums,

it seems that your problem will go away by disabling fast boot in Win7. Also give the other suggestions in the thread (such as disabling hibernation) a try.

1 Like

I cant rn because im lying in my bed.

Get some sleep, there is always tomorrow..

1 Like

Ye its 12.32 am in Malaysia rn. My windows7 is very broken so.. Tomorrow we got a lot of work to do

2 Likes

I don't know is this count as double posting @Aravisian. Ok so let me explain what did I do. So two years ago I installed Windows 10 on the Windows 7 computer (dual boot). Then I replace Windows 10 and install Linux Mint -> Manjaro -> Arch -> Zorin.

So after couple switching with distro's my Windows 7 kinda broke? some Windows 10 stuff is still there, Windows 7 is saying that it's unstable and my disk space has shrunk even though I shrunk it.

1 Like

At this point, I recommend you to go for a clean reinstall of both your operating systems. Backup your important files and format your whole PC. Install Windows first and then Zorin (Linux).

1 Like

How do I get a reinstallation of Windows 7, what about all the data I need to write back, I don't have a drive that big to copy all my family member's data on to. What about all their passwords and users, I can't log in into their stuff.

You can use either Clonezilla or Rescuezilla to make a compressed image of the drive. In this way, you can get away with a backup drive which is smaller than the original drive.

2 Likes

I believe that you can keep their big data on your laptop with some tips and tricks. As for their users and passwords... as long as you know them, you should be able to log back in them.
I have an idea. I believe that when upgrading from Win7 to Win10, the user has an option to keep all their data. And when you are on Win10, it has an option to automatically reset all the system files without touching the user files. I believe that is an option that would work out nicely for you.

2 Likes

I think I will just leave it, I'm too lazy to back up and reinstall all my stuff. And if it fails, I will literally make my dad very angry because he will lose all his documents.

1 Like

I do all my back ups in a discriminating way and manually. Compress personal files.
Move to other location.
That way, I don't save what I don't need and ensure that what I do need, is actually saved.

Personally, on Linux, I do not recommend saving snapshots of Installed Programs (Even though that is what most people seem the most worried about). This is because the purpose of having back ups is if something goes wrong and something usually goes wrong - with installed programs. You don't want to back up the thing that broke. Reinstall fresh.

2 Likes

That is exactly my opinion.
I recommend Clonezilla/Recuezilla since it is not a snapshot. It is a image of entire disk including OS and apps. Obviously one should make the image when the system is working perfectly.

Surely one would lose some system updates since the last image had been made, but it is still much better than wipe and clean install from scratch.

In combination of daily data backup (local and cloud), this should cover the most of the disastrous situations.

2 Likes

Yes, I also don't install snapshots of programs, I just install the apps back. I think it's better if I just leave it because if something goes wrong I'm going to get a hard spanking from my parents.

lol, why mess with in in the first place when there are important files on it from family.

I personally don't like Windows. All my shortcuts, all my desktops, all my Meta + LClick/Meta + RClick. It's really personal at that point.

2 Likes

The only reason i might completely switch is duo all the privacy breaches from ms.

The only reason w10 is still on my laptop is because i do play some games. So far zorin os took already 95%, since i installed zorin i didnt boot up windows lol.