Choppy audio on 16.1 Core

I'm getting a slight blip/choppiness in my audio approximately every 3 seconds. This started recently around the time 16.1 rolled out. It occurs when I play music stored locally using an audio player and when I use a browser to play music like on Youtube. I keep Zorin updated frequently and noticed there has been several updates recently. The issue occurs when I use the Pulse Audio volume control and the stock Zorin volume control in the settings (after uninstalling Pulse Audio). It's a single boot old Lenovo desktop computer with 8gb of ram.

I use an external usb audio dac but I've tried it on a Windows laptop and there are no audio issues so I don't think it's the hardware. I swapped out the external dac with another one I have and although I do not hear the every 3 second blip, I do hear a slight popping noise in the background.

As a final test, I booted the computer with a Zorin 16 live cd I downloaded back in Dec 2021 which I used to upgrade my computer. I tested the audio playing music on Youtube and did not experience the choppy audio.

Any thoughts on this? I'm a newbie at using Linux.

Can you run

sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Add the following lines, or if they are present, uncomment them by removing the hashtag (#) in front of them:

high-priority = yes
nice-level = -15
default-sample-rate = 48000
default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10

Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save the current configuration. Please reboot and test.

1 Like

It worked! Thank you for the quick reply, very much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.