ChromeOS vs Xfce based Distros. Which is more Lightweight?

Google has recently shared ChromeOS Flex(although stable release will come later). As ChromeBooks which run on ChromeOS have incredibly underpowered processors and still run well, I am just thinking that what would be more Lightweight, any Linux Distro with Xfce or ChromeOS-Flex? Is ChromeOS really that lightweight that it would be able to breath life into old Laptops just like Linux does?

1 Like

It probably is very Light and fast - but Antix Linux is also very light and blazing fast. So is Puppy.
At least with Antix and Puppy, you have Full Control over your OS...

2 Likes

Pardon me if I am wrong, but AntiX is more or a WM thing while Xfce is a desktop environment. So I was just wondering that even if ChromeOS-Flex is as lightweight Xfce while maintaining it's good looks and subtle animations, it's wonderful. Only con being not open-source and privacy respecting but who cares as long as it works(at least I don't). So as a crux my question is that if anyone has experienced ChromeOS then can you tell from your experience that is it really that lightweight like the ZorinOS-Lite? Might be even lighter while maintaining it's looks?

1 Like

I've not used Chrome OS enough to benchmark it against another... Partly because I found it frustrating to sue and very locked down.
I have not used Chrome OS Flex, at all.

If Chrome OS Flex offers a "Try" version, in the manner that Zorin OS does, maybe you can test it. Or try it in a Virtual Machine.

2 Likes

Sure.

1 Like

ChromeOS is basically web app based and doesn't really have storage on SSD's and mainly relies on cloud storage. An XFCE based linux distro is better IMO.

1 Like

Sorry i posed it in wrong place :persevere:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.