CNC application Mach3 fails to see RNRmotion card under OS 16 core

usb port is powered, RNRmotion card lights up. Running Mach3 under
latest version of crossover.. Mach3 application loads but does not
recognize RNRmotion card connected via USB port. Tried changing
USB options in BIOS to no avail.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I do not use Wine myself, but found the similar question in Ubuntu forum (Zorin is based on Ubuntu, Playonlinux is essentially the same as Wine)

The first answer:

AFAIK, Wine does not support USB drivers, so you can't connect any USB device to Wine/PlayOnLinux, but Wine does support serial devices, including serial over USB. Check if your device is being recognised as a serial device, e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0. If true, you can create a symbolic link between /dev/ttyUSB0 and wine dos device file located in ~/.wine/dosdevices/

3 Likes

This was the Mach 3

I hope it doesn't need an OS to run, could you imagine how we would all be doomed if it required Windows11?

They are already trying to modernize these things, they got one that runs on a battery, and is just a gimick to put out ultrasonic vibrations, supposedly enhances the action, no thank you.

Skynet gets hold of a robotic shaver, and they won't need robots to get us, they just use our shavers. lol

2 Likes

Mach 3 and Mach 4 are CNC software programs sourced by Artsoft. Mach 3 dates back to probably 80's and utilized parallel printer port for interface. As time has marched forward laptops tend to put parallel port to sleep if they are even provisioned with one to save battery, so along came the USB interface ViA
RNRmotion card.....not a razor.....

I am subscribed to several retro Youtubers that I like. Look up "LGR" - "The 8-Bit Guy" and "RetroSpector78" I get to see a lot of old tech on their channels, some of it I have never seen before. However, some of it I have, cause I lived through it.

I know about the parallel port, it was most commonly used for printers, because of the two-way communication ability. It was also used by scanners and other things too.

USB is far superior these days. Allows for much more compatibility, as its a universal standard. And its high speed performance these days, can easily rivel that of Intel's famous Thunderbolt port.

I was never a machinest. So, while I do know what a CNC machine is, and what it does and all, I am not an expert on them. I do know that they use computers and software to control them. And so I can only imagine, you want to run CNC software on Linux.

Anyways, good post, any post that gets me communicating in it is a good one, just so you know. :wink:

Startreker

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.