Computer overheats and internet goes out often on Zorin OS Ultimate

My computer overheats all of the time and the internet goes out often and I think this is due to some bug in Zorin OS Ultimate because it never happened on my other operating systems before. Is there any way to fix this? I tried using TLP and many of the other apps and software for cooling the CPU temperature and I even have my PC in powersave mode and it still overheats and crashes. I also have my internet go out on me a lot. This usually happens when it overheats. For some reason my internet disconnects when it gets hot. Also, sometimes the internet goes out without overheating. I have tried many solutions. I have trieddifferent settings typed in many different things into the terminal that others said might fix it. Nothing has worked. Does anyone know what I can try? I have Zorin OS 15 Ultimate. Thanks in advance.

What are your specs? And can you provide the output of inxi -t cm when it is starting to get hot?

When I had similar happen on my older Notebook- it was the fan. Just... timing. The fan was slowing down and on its last legs. So even though it was spinning, it was not spinning at its normal rated speed to actually cool the system. The cure- of course- was to replace the fan. Is that what I did? No...
I built a small black box that clips onto the side of the cooling port of the notebook, tapped a blower with wall powered motor into it and supercharged my cooling.
But... I'd suggest you check your fan and also clean out the ports with Dust-Off (tm).

Pardon me but I am not the most tech-savy--how do I find out my specs? Also, how can I find the output of inxi -t cm? What do I have to do to find this information? Thanks in advance.

inxi -t cm 

is a terminal command. Open terminal by pressing ctrl + alt + t.

If it isn't recognized, while you have internet, also on terminal Type:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y inxi

After the installation, Retry the:

inxi -t cm

When it's getting warm.

Ohhhhh Aravisian, you know when it comes to turbo chargers, that gets my attention. Mustang do real good with turbo chargers. And you got a turbo charger on that notebook, so it must be doing real good. Put the C in cool, and crank it up to high! YES SIR! :grin:

1 Like

Harvey mentioned terminal use, sorry I assumed that earlier.
You can use lshw -short for specs. But I’m certain Aravisian has this figured out. I even installed extra fans on my desktops to prevent overheating but didn’t think about that regarding your issue.

He will get more and more accurate information if he does this command with sudo.

sudo lshw -short

H/W path Device Class Description

system         Surface Pro 3 (Surface_Pro_3)

/0 bus Surface Pro 3
/0/0 memory 64KiB BIOS
/0/4 memory 128KiB L1 cache
/0/5 memory 512KiB L2 cache
/0/6 memory 4MiB L3 cache
/0/18 processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GH
/0/19 memory 8GiB System Memory
/0/19/0 memory 4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (
/0/19/1 memory 4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (
/0/100 bridge Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller
/0/100/2 display Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Control
/0/100/3 multimedia Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller