Connecting bluetooth device slows down wifi

Connecting bluetooth device slows down wifi speed basically almost doesnt load anything not even a simple google search

If bluetooth device is not connected / bluetooth is off then wifi works perfect

Using bluetooth manager made it a little better but still if i open a new tab which uses net , even as im typing this the music has stopped . it was working before
but if i do some other activity which requires internet then the music stops [ using spotify web ]

Both Bluetooth and WiFi use the same frequencies, so this is common... it happens with my cell phone, too (and it happened especially badly with my old cell phone... but then, that thing would disconnect WiFi when our (brand new) microwave was running).

There's not much that can be done for it. Some chips handle it better than others.

1 Like

As Bluetooth uses the 2.4GHz band, switching wifi to 5GHz may help.

2 Likes

If you haven't, you can try a different channel for your 2.4GHz network, too. 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlapping, reducing interference. If you can't get on 5GHz, that is.

2 Likes

my laptop doesn't support 5GHz sadly.

Correct me if i'm doing something wrong
but it switches to channel 6 when the wifi is disconnected but when i connect it back it goes back to 4 ?!

The WiFi channel is set in your WiFi router settings... it's likely set to 'Auto' so it can find the least-used channel. I've found the 'Auto' algorithm in most routers to be buggy... just figure out which channel is least-used over the day, manually set your router to that, and if you start getting too much interference such that you're getting slow speeds or dropped connections, repeat the process with another channel.

If you're in the US, you'll find that Verizon WiFi tends to completely swamp the higher channel numbers, and people who don't configure their WiFi out of the box other than setting the SSID and passphrase tend to swamp the lower channels, so I run channels 4 - 8 (channel bonding to increase throughput).

2 Likes

As @Mr_Magoo pointed out - I should have prefaced but, was referring to router settings; also willing to bet it's set to auto-select the wireless channel..

1 Like

Perfect thx !

1 Like

Another thing you can do if you're in a densely-populated area and there's so much WiFi traffic that you can't even get a strong signal, or the distance between WiFi router and computer is high...

You need a WiFi router that has external antennas that can be unscrewed. Build yourself a Cantenna (there are plans on the internet... although the linked plan puts the antenna at a 90 degree angle to the axis of the waveguide... I always built mine so the axis of the antenna and the waveguide were parallel... that's just a simple matter of relocating the N connector to the backplate of the Cantenna, though) and aim that Cantenna toward your computer.

I was once able to push a WiFi signal more than 2 miles with a Cantenna.

Remember, the shinier the inside of the waveguide is, the more reflective it is, so shine that thing up. I found Comet scouring powder, a soft cloth and plenty of elbow grease works well. Do not use vinegar to clean galvanized metal... it'll likely stain it.

Also remember that the radiating element (the antenna... which is actually just a 1.75" (0.5" soldered inside the N connector; 1.25" as the actual antenna) length of 12ga or 14ga solid copper wire) radiates from the tip, and the sharper that tip is, the higher the electron density at the tip, thus the better it'll radiate, so sharpen the tip.

And of course, if you've got that sort of router, you can use third-party firmware on it which has many more features than from the factory.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.