Console font size during startup / shutdown diagnostic

How can I change the console font that is displayed during the boot and shutdown diagnostic? I'm running Zorin on an XPS 15 Laptop with High Res screen and the text is way too small to read. With the help of some articles here I managed to adjust the font for grub, but can't find how to do it for the console (not the terminal, just to be clear). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

On the first option, just tap enter to choose the selected value (Should be utf-8)

On the second, you can select by language or "guess setup".

The third option can be "Let system select" or you can choose if you know the correct answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

The last option is the one you want. Font Size. I would recommend selecting the largest and testing it first.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the largest available font, but it only partially solved the problem. In particular, at the very beginning when the computer starts up, there is some text that remains as tiny as it was before. After some steps in the boot up sequence, the font becomes a little larger.

Linux still has need of further development where 4k screens are concerned. Increasing demand will likely lead toward further development.

Maybe we can help offset the tiny font by helping you with the original diagnostics you were running. What was the issue you were trying to solve that needed console output?

Understood. Let's hope there will a fix soon.

Maybe I did not express myself correctly: I am in the process of learning about the inner workings of the Linux kernel and the OS in general, and when the system starts up it prints the ongoing log on the screen. That's what I meant by "startup diagnostic" messages.

Those scroll by pretty quick, so even if the font was a good size, they might blink out far too fast to have read the content. If you would like to review those messages, you can read them at your leisure by accessing those logs after booting up using the command journalctl -b (the -b denotes Boot Logs) in terminal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.