Cooler Control Install help

I am following the install page for Cooler Control
Control GPU/CPU Fan Speed with CoolerControl in Ubuntu 24.04 | UbuntuHandbook and I have gotten to this spot.
When I run this.
curl -1sLf
'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/coolercontrol/coolercontrol/setup.deb.sh'
| sudo -E bash
I get this error and it is telling me this
Failed to fetch configuration for your OS distribution release/version.

:
: It looks like we don't currently support your distribution release and
: version. This is something that we can fix by adding it to our list of
: supported versions (see contact us below), or you can manually override
: the values below to an equivalent distribution that we do support:
:
: ... distro=zorin version=18 codename=noble arch=x86_64
:
: You can force this script to use a particular value by specifying distro,
: version, or codename via environment variable. E.g., to specify a distro
: such as Ubuntu/Xenial (16.04), use the following:
:
: | distro=ubuntu version=16.04 codename=xenial sudo -E bash
:
What does it want me to do by forcing the script to a supported distro (zorin)
thanks
dan

Hi, this is because your OS is identified as ZorinOS not Ubuntu 24.04 on which it is based. You could temporarily change the ID of the OS to read Ubuntu 24.04 in order to get this installed, then revert back to it - if I could just remember how to do it! Back in a bit. (Unless someone beats me to it!)

So, open a terminal and enter:

cat /etc/*-release

It will bring back something like:

DISTRIB_ID=Zorin
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18
DISTRIB_CODENAME=noble
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin OS 18.1"
PRETTY_NAME="Zorin OS 18.1"
NAME="Zorin OS"
VERSION_ID="18"
VERSION="18.1"
VERSION_CODENAME=noble
ID=zorin
ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
HOME_URL="https://zorin.com/os/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.zorin.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://zorin.com/os/feedback/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://zorin.com/legal/privacy/"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=noble
LOGO=zorin-logo

So you need to change this too:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=24.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME (LEAVE UNCHANGED)
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 24.04"
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 24.04"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION_CODENAME (LEAVE UNCHANGED)
ID=Ubuntu
ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
HOME_URL="https://ubuntu.com/"
UBUNTU_CODENAME (LEAVE UNCHANGED)

As for support url, bug report url, privacy policy url and logo I am not sure.
To edit this file you need to run:

sudo nano /etc/os-release

Which should look like this:

image

You need to use the cursor keys (arrow keys) to navigate this editor and be sure that if anything is written in lower case you keep to that, and anything in CAPS be sure to follow it exactly. Before editing, save the file as os-releasd.bak so you have a backup of how your existing release file looks.

After making the relevant changes, press Ctrl+ O to write out the changes to os-release (be sure not to save to os-release.bak - if it comes with that in the save as box, back space to remove .bak. Then press the Enter key, then Ctrl+ X to exit.

Then close the terminal, reboot and try to install the app again.

1 Like

Like @swarfendor437 write: this is an Indentify Thing. It reads that it is Zorin. And even when it is based on Ubuntu, it isn't detected right.

You could follow @swarfendor437's Advice to change it, then install it and change it back. But for future Update that might be problematic.

You could use an Alternative instead. when You want this Tool for control Your GPU LACT would be this Alternative:

Or: If Your BIOS offers it, You can set up a Fan Curve in Your BIOS Settings.

1 Like

Or you could try the appimage of cooler control instead. Appimages work on all distributions, but often you need to update them manually.

thanks, I will install LACT for GPU. I tried these cooler control instructions

that actually listed Zorin, and the first couple of commands worked and then it asked if I was root and nothing I could do to get past it . I tried su instead of sudo, but I gave up.
I probably can set curves in the bios but it is much more convenient to have a program so I don't have to keep booting into and out of the bios the make changes and see how they respond.
thanks
dan

When You like this specific Program, You could try the AppImage of it like @Forpli has linked. This will not install the Program then. This is more like a portable Version that You might know from Windows.

With LACT you just enable the overclock not that you will use that then thermels then curve set your curve then apply in lower left

I had cooler control found this way easier to setup

thanks that is on my list, but just to confirm it only does the GPU, no case fans?
thanks
dan

I downloaded the image then ran ```
chmod +x CoolerControlD-x86_64.AppImage

hristianpopulist@ZorinMaxi:~$ chmod +x CoolerControlD-x86_64.AppImage
chmod: cannot access 'CoolerControlD-x86_64.AppImage': No such file or directory
My file is in downloads, how do I let Terminal know that?
dan

Go to your Downloads folder, open it and then right-click on an empty space and select "open in terminal" and then enter the command.

@NewToZorin2 ya only does the gpu.....The case fans depending on your motherboard can be done somewhere in bios

You can make on the AppImage a Right-Click and select Properties. Scroll there down and activate the Toggle ''Run as executive''.