Core to Lite and installing XFCE

Hello everybody,

I have 11 years old pc ( Toshiba L505-110). I was using win10 but it was horrible for my pc. Then, I switched to Zorin Os. It feels better, more usable but I still find this little bit slow. I have regret about not downloading Zorin OS lite. I cannot set thing up again. Is there a way to switch Zorin Os Lite without losing data ? Or switching to xfce environment via terminal can help about speed?

Thanks,

-chuckle-
I am almost afraid to post this... But yes, you can install XFCE4 desktop on Zorin Core. Fortunately, it is easier to install XFCE4 than to install Gnome.
XFCE is modular.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

You can switch desktop environments from the Log In screen.

From there, you will want to install various apps for Zorin Lite. Some take the easy route of

sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies

Or you can make a list and then install them all at once separated with a spcae between package names.
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+index?batch=75&memo=75&start=75

3 Likes

With this way, I will not lose any data in my hard drive, am I right?

Is it safe to do that? I installed matlab 1 week ago, I dont want to lose all data and my license there, so that it would be nice to not losing any data

No, you will not overwrite data. The system will set a block for installation of the new Desktop Environment.

Thank you for the fast replies. So, it’s safe to that. The only change will be in system environment. Hard drive datas, applications stays same.

Yes.
I am running Zorin Lite and I installed Cinnamon on it. So, I run Zorin “Cinnamon” instead of XFCE.
StarTrekker on here runs Zorin 12.4 Core and installed XFCE desktop on it and runs it as Zorin Lite (Same as what you are asking about.)

1 Like

I was glad to hear that folks have been able to use xfce on the Core edition of Zorin as I wanted to try that out. I took your suggestion and used the CLI to install but got:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xubuntu-desktop : Depends: xorg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xubuntu-core but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So I tried:

sudo apt install xfce4

And it worked fine, didn't throw any errors. I'll let you know how I like it!

Thanks,
c

2 Likes

Ubuntu specific Desktop Environment packages, such as ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop don't work in Zorin...

Hi Guys.
If I install Xfce4 on Zorin core will install the zorin theme or will come the pure Xfce4??

I can install it with that command

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

2 Likes

Yes, you found your own solution. But you can also isntall the themes with:

sudo apt install zorin-desktop-themes