Corrupted cache file message at start up

For the last few days I have been playing around with Pop! OS and Zorin 16. To make a long story a little shorter the hard-drive I was using died. As I didn't really seem to like Pop! OS that much I decided to just install Zorin 16 core on another drive. I used a thumb drive that I have used a couple of times before to install Zorin 16 core. The first time I used it I let it do the checksum check and all was okay. All the other times I have used it everything seemed to go just fine and Zorin worked okay.
This last time everything seemed to be okay but whenever I restart my desktop I get a message on the task bar that Zorin was unable to read a cache file and I should run "apt-get update" to correct the problem. However when I run that in terminal I get another message that just tells me the same thing over again. I have run it a couple of times but am still getting that message. I have attached a screen shot of my terminal window.

What can I do different to fix this problem? I might add that everything seems to be working okay. Thanks for any help you can give.

It seems to me you have some lock file from incomplete update.
I wonder if @Aravisian has some idea.

As always, use "rm -rf" with caution:

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

Copy and paste if over just as it appears above.

Then open a new terminal instance and test

sudo apt update

I did install with my pc connected to the internet for updates while installing and after the install it again asked to do more updates and downloaded about 400 MB of updates so that could be the problem but I don't know how to fix it if "sudo apt-get update" doesn't work.

Or you can do it in GUI by starting Nautilus as a root.
Go to /var/lib/apt/lists
Then delete everything in that folder.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I did the commands that Aravisian suggested and it seems to have worked as the second terminal window showed a bunch of downloads and then all packages up to date.

I am curious as to what is the difference between "apt-get update" that the terminal suggested and "apt get update" Aravisian suggested. I realize the first command he gave probably set things up for the "apt get update to work".

Thanks again.

I didn't.

He actually suggested
sudo apt update

"apt get update" will not do anything in terminal.

The difference between apt and apt-get

Oh! Now I see you didn't. Sorry about that. I will add that I keep finding things in Zorin that are actually much easier to do than in winblows. I didn't know how to take a screen shot but I looked and there was a program just for that. I clicked and it asked did I want the whole screen or just the window I had open. I selected the window that was open and it gave me a choice to make the screen shot a picture or just send it to the clip board. I don't see how that process could be made any easier.

1 Like

You can also just hit the print-screen or prt-scrn key on the keyboard.

Thanks again for all the help. I wonder why it is still in whatever controls terminal to suggest apt-get instead of apt. From the link FrenchPress posted apt-get is outdated.

Some distros still require apt-get command instead of apt.
In other words, apt-get could cover all Debian based distors.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.