Corrupted graphics jumping around the screen changing color

Might be worth checking on amdgpu forum:

Thanks I followed that link and at the bottom it linked to where latest AMD gpu drivers are available for ubuntu. Downloaded and had to edit amdgpu-install script to add 'zorin' as a supported OS, after that it ran to 98% then failed on building kernel module:

make.log which the error refers to contains just this:

DKMS make.log for amdgpu-5.9.10.69-1234664 for kernel 5.15.0-50-generic (amd64)
Wed 12 Oct 2022 16:12:01 AEDT
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.0-50-generic'
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.9.10.69-1234664/build/Makefile:16: *** dma_resv->seq is missing., exit.... Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1900: /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.9.10.69-1234664/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.0-50-generic'

I believe that this issue is caused by this:

It's a catch-22, isn't it? If it is set to Ubuntu, it fails because the os-release does not say Ubuntu. If you correct that, then it fails because it is not set to Ubuntu.

AMD openly supports Linux and not so openly doesn't bother to care. Part of the problem is that the AMDGPU makefile is using the /etc/os-release ID to set its parameters and since it was changed from the "ubuntu" ID that it was expecting to an unrecognized ID... It failed.

What you can try is to edit the makefile to include zorin:

else ifeq ("zorin",$(OS_NAME))
OS_NAME="ubuntu"
endif

Set it as Zorin instead of Ubuntu and try installing with fingers and toes crossed...

yep it does seem clear that using an AMD gpu on linux is risky. the error i'm seeing occurs before the checks for OS in the makefile, so i don't think that will help. i did find someone else with exactly the same graphical glitch, and the same error trying to install amd gpu drivers, and they posted some commands that fixed it for them, at the end of this post:

unfortunately those 4 commands didn't fix it for me. maybe my only option is to go out and buy an NVIDIA card..

You may switch back to windows if you have issues with money, there is no need for a new gpu. The primary reason people switch to linux is they want to make their PC faster, If you are facing any problems. You might consider windows as another option rather than buying a gpu.

Btw the output for,

dmesg | grep -i amdgpu

Is?

lol no chance ghostminator. i choose linux because it is open, doesn't contain spyware, is a reliable and solid OS, and has great community support. Windows is the exact opposite of all of those traits. And Zorin is the best distro for me as it's user-friendly. I'm happy to buy a GPU to avoid Windows.

1 Like

in tty this command returns nothing i.e. there is no mention of amdgpu in dmesg output.

That means no driver is installed.
In this case, you can try

amdgpu-pro-uninstall

You can then install using this method,
In order to get the drivers, you need to go to the AMD Download Page, and grab the latest version of the drivers that matches your card. The release should come in the form of a tarball. Either extract the tarball automatically with your GUI archive manager through your browser or let it download and extract it using tar from the command line.

tar -xf amdgpu-pro_*.tar.xz

A directory containing all of the necessary packages will be created based on the version of the drivers. cd into that directory.

cd amdgpu-pro-XX.XX-XXXXXX

Don’t worry about installing all of those packages individually. There’s an installer script that will handle everything for you. Run the script as a regular user. It will ask you for your password to use sudo. If you want to be lazy, add the -y flag to answer “Yes” to every question.

./amdgpu-pro-install -y

Let the script run and install all of your packages. It’ll take a bit of time, but once it’s done, your system will be ready. Just restart, and you can start using your new drivers.

i already tried this (see above posts) but used the "non-pro" version of the script. it failed unfortunately.

There is a way to change the id of Zorin to Ubuntu to do this but forgotten how to do this. Then after install, change ID back to Zorin.

You did not mention if you tried the makefile edit suggested above...

The makefile cannot be modified, as it is extracted by the amdgpu-install bash script, so it doesn't exist before running that script, and you can't run amdgpu-install twice without running amdgpu-uninstall first (it complains), which deletes the makefile. I did try adding --no-dkms and --pro options to install script, but neither solved the issue.

Yes, the makefile is in the source, which must then be compiled using gcc and then run as an installer.
I do not remember off the top of my head all the steps without looking them up - but I will see if I can make an outline while youa re following the advice suggested by @swarfendor437

thanks that's very generous, but to be honest i don't think adding changes to set the os name to ubuntu will work, as the script is failing before those checks are done, when it tries to look for an environment variable that doesn't exist. i have ordered a low-end NVIDIA card for $95AUD, hopefully that fixes it, will confirm when it arrives.

It seems likely that will work.

So confirming switching AMD for an NVIDIA card fixed the graphics issue. For the benefit of others, when I replaced the card, I was greeted by this on bootup:

But I could access tty, so proceeded to uninstall AMD gpu drivers using:

amdgpu-install --uninstall

then listed available nvidia drivers using:

apt search nvidia-driver

then using nvidia's website i checked the applicable driver version for linux 64-bit, which in my case was nvidia-driver-470, and installed it using:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470
sudo reboot

thanks again for everyone's help, and now i learnt, don't use AMD on linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.