Daily freezing and forced reboot

@Bubby apologies for not including this! I've edited my OP to include the specs.

2 Likes

I would suspect this first.
We lately have several members having problem in interaction between integrated GPU and discrete GPU.

1 Like

Pull up terminal and type this: sudo apt update & sudo apt upgrade

@FrenchPress is there a way to disable the Intel HD Graphics so that only my GPU is active?

@Bubby I went ahead and ran the commands exactly as you provided.

Foolishly, I restarted my computer without pasting the output :sob:

There were definitely some packages that appear to have been updated. Not a lot, but a few. I don't recall anything specific though.

1 Like

This thread may help:

1 Like

Could you tell me which version of NVidia driver you are using?
I remember some members did have some issue with 470 (propitiatory, tested) driver. I am OK with this driver since I have no integrated GPU.

after update (and I know it's early to tell) is things working better?

I believe he stated 495

I missed that :sweat_smile:
So the drive is not the issue.

1 Like

Or XFCE :mouse2:

Indeed. It is a matter of one's taste.
I mentioned XFCE since @Aravisian is expert at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FrenchPress thank you for the link, I'll take a look and see if this GPU switcher makes any difference.

And as @Bubby confirmed, it is the nvidia-driver-495 (proprietary) version which is installed :slightly_smiling_face:

@Bubby yes to early to tell if the problem is fixed, but it has been happening consistently every day for the last week... so I think if I can go a full day of work tomorrow without freezing, I'll be throwing a celebration! :partying_face: Will report back my results.

@337harvey I will look into the tutorial you referenced - thanks for the suggestion. I will hold off however until I can confirm the freeze is still happening after performing the update + upgrade that @Bubby suggested. I will report back if/when I switch DE.

Thanks again to everyone for jumping in to offer advice so quickly! :pray:

3 Likes

Your welcome @beefchimi , hopefully the issue is fixed. look forward to your reporting back ... so we can use this info for future users. G

2 Likes

Logitech Mouse?

1 Like

And you say we think more of your abilities than your abilities actually support. :wink:

2 Likes

Are logitech mouses known to cause issues? I also have a logitech mouse and have been having identical issues to OP

I asked the O.P. of this thread if he is using a Logitech mouse in response to the libinput error he had also gotten. It is probably unrelated to the GPU issue.
The libinput error is also likely to be a False Alarm rather than anything to worry about.

@Bubby unfortunately the freeze did occur again :sob:

@Aravisian yes I do in fact have a Logitech mouse (MX Master 2S wirelessly connected via the USB Receiver).

I did somewhat recently install logiops to regain functionality of the thumb "gesture" button. As a precaution, I've just gone ahead and:

1. Disabled the logiops service
  2. Went through and deleted all the installed files (that I am aware of at least)

I will see if doing that has an effect. I have kept Solaar installed however.

Unfortunately I do not have another mouse to test on (that wouldn't also be Logitech at least).

Dear beefchimi,

Just for the info;
I use the same mouse (MX Master 2S wireless). I use dual boot added the drivers from within Windows with the logitech app. After booting into Linux it all worked ok. I did not install the logiops service or Solaar, so I did not reassign the buttons.

Can't say the same about the gpu of course, but mine is an Intel Graphics as follows.

Screenshot from 2021-11-23 03-47-27

But reading the information you provided could it be that you installed extensions which could cause these frictions?