Default "open with" applicatio

My icons on my desktop are showing as text files and when I click to open them they open in notepad. How do I fix this?

1 Like

This is a security issue built into Gnome DE. Right-click the icons and select properties then go to permissions tab and allow to be executable.

1 Like

I've done that it doesn't help.

Using Right Click - do you see either
open with
or
properties
?

In Properties, you should be able to set the application to open the file with as default - choose the application that you prefer.

2 Likes

I see Open with another application on context menu and Open with on file properties, but when I set the preinstalled application to open a document it returns to ImageMagick by itself, is it a bug or ImageMagick is invasive? I encountered 2 serious problems with ImageMagick, the first was (and still is) that drawing a shape (I usually highlight some pieces of screenshots with rectangles) it shows the preview of the shape position with a significant delay and then sometimes ImageMagick freezes with no apparent reason and I have to force-close it losing my edits. I'm tempted to uninstall it, in case it's safe to do so.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.