Delete a FAT32 partion on the bootdrive of ZorinOS

I remember when I tried to save as much space possible on a 7GB eMMC, I found that the boot partition could be as small as 100GB.

What do I do with the 539 MB on /dev/sda now? Should I move it back to /dev/sda instead of the /dev/nvme0n1

I do not think it is possible.
Moving a partition can be done only on the same disk.

The only thing I can think of is that you could expand pre-existing ext4 partition to take up this empty space. But for 240GB disk, you may not notice any difference.

1 Like

Due to the fact that /boot/efi on the same drive as Windows 10, this worries me when Windows 10 updates. That's why I want to move it. Too many threads related to the Windows 10 updates messed up the dual-boot situation in Linux.

I thought boot-repair would put the grub-efi on /dev/sda. Oh well.

The only dual-boot I have is on a 10 years old Acer Aspire.
It is a dual boot with Windows 11 (not a typo) and Zorin 16.
Since the system has a legacy BIOS only, it may not be the same. But I've never had a single issue with Windows update on this machine.

2 Likes

Let's hope that is the case for me as well. I guess I will be back in the future for another rescue.

1 Like

Gparted for that dual-boot machine:

1 Like

I have a dual boot also, have been running for some time with windows and zorin sharing the same physical device. Windows will not access the Linux grub folders and same vice versa. Without the bootloader on the first drive, as it is now, you would have to change boot device to access zorin. While this is one way to dual boot, it is far from efficient.

2 Likes

My grub is showing its settings during boot. I want to skip it. I changed with sudo nano /etc/default/grub and changed the GRUB_TIMEOUT=0` but it still show the menu.

How do I make silent like before I deleted my EFI?

Output of /etc/default/grub:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

GRUB_THEME=/usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt

I added a few lines but still did not work.

Changing the /etc/default/grub is not working because my EFI is on another disk so the config file is in that partition so it has no way of connecting to it. Oh well. I will leave it be.

You do not want to do this. At all.

While you may have a preference, this is a preference that is best ignored. It's not going to harm you any to have a Grub menu... But it CAN harm you to Not have one when you need it.

If you set the timeout to zero, you will be unable to access the Grub Recovery Menu.

1 Like

It used to be hidden. I'm just not used to seeing the ugly grub showing up now after the boot-repair fiasco. Zorin OS first installation had it hidden the entire time.

I stand 100% by what I just said and a quick perusal of all the threads on this forum that need to access the Grub Recovery Menu back that up.

However, you can Theme your Grub menu so it is not ugly. I did.

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/Azenis_grub/theme.txt

2 Likes

That is one theme I'd like to see! I'm using the futuristic grub theme (looks like an IMF or CIA login screen... lol).

For the OP, you can find themes for grub here. Most include installation instructions. Some use grub customizer, but usually it isn't necessary. Copy a few files, maybe slight mod to grub file and update grub... done.

2 Likes

I would need to reboot and take a picture with my phone. There is a Good reason why I have not uploaded it as a theme for regular use.:wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.