Difference between WINE, Bottles and Play on Linux

Hi, I continue on my quest to completely substitute my Windows 11 Pro laptop with Linux. I am finding some of the programs that do not have a linux version hard to resolve unless I run them in an encapsulated environment. Now I see that there are installed in my OS17 3 things: Play on Linux, Wine and Bottles. What are the differences between those 3?

1 Like

I don’t know the exact difference since I don’t use them but they all provide some kind of virtual machine to allow a Windows program to work on Zorin in the case of WINE and Play On Linux. Not sure how Bottles works but same concept from what I remember.

PlayOnLinux is a project I've been wanting to try out one day, but it looks like its similiar to how Lutris works.

Then there are Wine and Bottles. Wine is basically what @C141ZorinOS mentioned about them running a windows program in some kind of virtual environment, so that it can be ran on Linux.

With wine installed, you can open the terminal and type something like wine /path/to/my/app.exe and it will run the windows application. Thats it!

With Bottles, you have an interface and don't need to be bothered with commands. It basically uses the wine compability layer, and allows you to customize runners, select versions of wine, directX etc.

If you plan on playing windows games, have a look at Proton Compability Layer.

Proton TLDR;
It is like wine, but developed to increase performance for video games.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer!

1 Like

Hi FreshJeff, I will check the Proton compatibility layer. I was looking more for Office 2013, Visio 2013, Tableau 2019 desktop (the last one on permanent license), and alike.

1 Like