Dim screen after login on fresh Zorin 16 installation

Hello, I'm new to ZorinOS
all was good after I installed it but after a while, I restarted my PC and after login, my desktop was dim below is a screenshot of what I mean

System Spes
Processor: 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz × 8
Graphics: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)

But before I log in everything is bright as normal, I was wondering if this was a brightness issue, but my brightness is 100% and yet can't still see clearly, it's like a bootstrap modal overlay on my screen, this overlay does not affect the cursor. It stays at normal brightness at all times.

Ok, I'm posting here as a fix for my question
I removed all startup apps including slack then used Wayland after reboot, then it came back to normal

Wayland is a work in progress and many apps do not work with it. This may not be a full solution...

Have you tried reinstalling the x-window manager?

sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg

Sorry for the late reply, it only becomes dark only on Zorin OS desktop, Xorg?
but it's ok on Wayland, but somehow full-screen sharing show black screen.
On login, if I press ALT + F2 then r it becomes normal until I restart the PC

Many things do not work on Wayland. Wayland is an unfinished work in progress.

1 Like

Yes, i know, especially screen-sharing showing black, but i think the problem is from Xorg, i'll have to refresh it manually before it looks bright, this i have to do everytime it restart my PC

I notice that Zorin OS 16 has a Dim Screen gnome-extension. I wonder if you disable or remove it, if that would resolve the issue.

Install Tweaks

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

Then launch it from app menu as Tweaks
Go to the Extensions tab on the left, then find the screen dimmer (Not sure the name) extension and disable it. Alternatively, you can test with the menu icon on the upper left and select "Disable all extensions" just to get them all in one go for testing.

1 Like

This is correct, Zorin does come with a extension for dimming. Its part of the screen saving and power options. The OP needs to make sure that its disabled.

1 Like

As this setting appears- is the Screen Dimmer not a gnome-extension?

Gnome extension from Hell.... (according to the latest 2 reviews)
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1222/oled-dimmer/

I just checked the extensions, and couldn't find any, which is strange. Because in previous versions of Zorin OS, there was a gnome based extension for managing the power, I remember it quite vividly. But as it appears in OS 16, the dimming feature is built into the OS.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.