Discussing auto-cpufreq and snap

I would like to hear feedback from members here who have added auto-cpufreq onto their laptops.

I'd also like to find why 'snap' is not liked or used? Just trying to understand as much as I can before I make use of this battery saving option. (and I do need it).

I think that auto-cpufreq is a good and reliable piece of software. I have used it on multiple notebook (Or Compact) computers without ever having any issues with it. It worked as described, quietly in the background.
You can easily install autocpufreq on Zorin OS 16 without using Snap at all if you like, as well.
Two commands will do it:
git clone https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq.git

cd auto-cpufreq && sudo ./auto-cpufreq-installer

It also can be installed as a .deb self installer.

The primary con against Snap relates closely to this topic, even. Snap Isolates software on your system by double sandboxing it. In this case, auto-cpufreq would be isolated from Python on your system and this is not a selling point.
Snap is easier for a developer to push which appeals to devs. But making a .debian package is not exactly difficult... I make those all the time, too.
You want auto-cpufreq to be able to communicate with the relevant system files,a s well as to not have to bring in redundant packages in order to work.

3 Likes

Here is a little insight to why not snap:

• Firefox (tar.bz2):
    • Zip size: 79.4MB
    • Unzipped & Installed: 244.3 MB

• Firefox (snap):
    • Installer: 193 MB
    • Installed: ? (around 627MB -- I won't install the snap version)

{Installed educated guestimate is based on the tarball being 32.5% smaller than the installed package. Your results may vary [most snaps are about a GB]. Good luck with choosing your software without filling your drive (I thought games were bad)}

As you see, Will NOT play DRM content without a plugin...? WHAT? Why does the non-snap version actually do this without a plugin? Double-sandboxing. Also, Did you see it?, THEMING issues....Why would you want software that only half works....Can't be customized....Is larger than necessary because it duplicates libraries That Already Exist On Your System?! Why not snap? Why snap?

Over 2500 installed applications ( a lot of those are system apps).

My 120GB System partition has only 50GB used (most applications .deb or apt installed...a few tarballs...including two IDEs, kde-full [so all of the QT counterparts to the GTK versions], additional python, js and java development kits and the android sdk, with virtual machine). My system partition holds the system and applications I use. Home is another partition that has the configurations and personal files.

auto-cpufreq is great....works well with the indicator-cpufreq (independent of each other, but compliment each other). It's not difficult to install or configure either.

1 Like

Moved to chat about zorin category since it was a tutorial.

I hope Zorin OS does not pre-install unnecessarily redundant systems such as snap.

It's " Schnapps".

Cheers!

1 Like

I use cpufrequtils and manual configuration of the CPU governor, CPU down_threshold, CPU up_threshold, CPU freq_step and CPU ignore_nice_load. That lets the AMD CPU use its own internals to regulate CPU frequency.

As to why I don't use snap (or flatpak):

Yes, my total install size is only 3.29 GB.

1 Like

Zorin OS does come with SnapD and Flatpak both installed.
It does Not come with any Snap packages installed and while it includes Flatpak Packages, they are the Zorin OS Themes.

Surprisingly, I support this decision.
I choose to Not Use Snap or Flatpak. However, ZorinGroup allows user choice in this. They are not forcing you to use or to not use it. They allow you to choose for yourself.
I think that is better than the ZorinGroup just choosing to abide by one set of wishes.

2 Likes

Snap and flatpak are included by default. It's so there are no limitations for new users... but it does cause issues, so is definitely a decision of the ZorinGroup to include it currently.

2 Likes

I am afraid that users unfamiliar with the Linux OS will unknowingly waste resources. However, since learning about package management is a necessary part of using the Linux OS, I understand your opinion that users should not be taken away from their options.

2 Likes

A well established fear as that does indeed happen.
And these alternate package sources create a lot of confusion, as well.

Even so, I must stand by my point. Much in life creates confusion - the onus is upon us to be Willing to Learn and interested in learning instead of wanting things handed to us.

3 Likes

Thanks so much Aravisian et al for your insightful feedback. I will now add auto-cpufreq to my laptop using your instructions (Aravisian).

Its sad that newbies do not take the time to at least check out what they are getting into with an OS. Zorin is a luv for less 'geek' types but it still requires some learning.

BIG THANKS to all here for your willingness to share your knowledge.

When I put this into the terminal I got this error reading -

**Command 'git' not found, but can be installed with: **
sudo app install git

Was I not to put that command line into the terminal?

Sorry, I keep forgetting that git does not come pre-installed on Zorin.
Go ahead and install it along with build-essential too:

sudo apt install git build-essential

1 Like

I am sorry I still have such a knowledge gap about this :wink:. I guess I remain 'The Tester' (title bestowed on my by dear hubby)

I have a knowledge gap of probably 99.99% of the universe.
Slowly, however, we work to fill the gap by learning.

1 Like

After stumbling with typing in the commands you supplied, I finally did get auto cpufreq installed - PHEW! Thanks a bunch Aravisian and all others.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.