Discussion about desktop environment of Zorin OS and how to change it

Assalamu Alaikum.
Just to know, is changing desktop environments possible? Like GNOME to Plasma? Just asking, not gonna try. It's because it is possible on Debian.

And also, which version of GNOME is Zorin OS 16.3 and 17 running on?

1 Like

Yes, you can install other desktops on Zorin OS.
I have installed a large number of them including

• Cinnamon
  • LXDE-gtk3
  • Enlightenment
  • Plasma
  • Mate

and many others. I have found that Cinnamon runs smoother and faster on Zorin OS for some reason, than it does on Mint. :expressionless:

Where a user can run into trouble is if while on Zorin OS while using a non-default desktop environment is in getting assistance from users that are familiar with that environment.
Many of us do use other D.E.'s though. Often we can still be helpful.

Zorin OS 16 uses Gnome shell version 3.38 while Zorin OS 17 uses elements of Gnome 45 and 43.
Zorin OS 17 may adjust the Gnome versions as needed by the release of 17.1

Yeah, Mint users should definitely try Zorin OS with Cinnamon once.

Also, I'm really excited about upgrading to Z17 due to its significant UI changes. It's more familiar for me as I'm a Windows and ChromeOS user.

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

Yes you can install different Desktops. If you want to use xfce you can simply choose Zorin Os lite. When you want to install it on the Core Version use the command:
sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

For KDE Plasma there are 3 Versions:

sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop
sudo apt install kde-standard
sudo apt install kde-full

For Cinnamon: sudo apt install cinnamon

For MATE: sudo apt install mate-desktop

1 Like

The only trouble you will run into is if you attempt to install a newer version of gnome alongside of, or to replace the version that came with Zorin.

This will mess up your system.

Also, whether you use gnome or not, do not attempt to remove it. It is a part of the distro version and will break it if you attempt it.

You mean, I'll have to stick with the version of GNOME that comes pre-installed?

Yes. If this is the change you are looking to make, know that installation of gnome 45 may break your system.

You have been warned. Any corruption or data loss is your doing.

Why will I need GNOME 45? Cuz Zorin OS already comes with GNOME 43+45 and I’m fine with it. Anyways, thanks for letting me know.