Disk Volumes not Appearing in Nautilus Sidebar

Disk volumes don't appear in the sidebar of Nautilus (Ubuntu Files). I can still access them through "Other Locations", but I've noticed this behaviour differs from Ubuntu Desktop and is quite annoying usability wise. Note how removable media (here "Ventoy" and "VTOYEFI") still shows, and can be unmounted, from the sidebar. I can still "favourite" each volume after mounting, but then I can't tell if the volume is mounted and I don't get the option to unmount, so this is unpreferable. I don't think this is a problem with my volumes, since the intended behaviour can be achieved using Nemo.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

The issue here is with the version of Gnome that Zorin OS 17 uses (43.9). At this version, Nautilus doesn't yet implements that feature that you are talking about. This was recently introduced in Gnome 47.

Other distributions might already implement this version of Gnome, or they might have implemented a patch on their own to have this functionality.

But for now, I think that with Zorin OS you'll have to wait until the next release with a bumped version of Gnome.

3 Likes

Ohhh ok. Coming from Linux Mint, and before that Windows 11, I had assumed that this was a common feature and that I was experiencing some sort of bug since both of these OS's file managers have this feature (at least to some extent). Thank you for pointing this out to me and for such a quick reply.

Linux Mint uses Cinnamon as Desktop Environment. And with that the Nemo File Manager. You could install that one on Zorin with the Command sudo apt install nemo too.