Displays stopped working after shutdown

I shutdown my desktop today and when I came back to it and turned it on, only one monitor was coming up. I restarted and then when that didn't solve the issue I checked the software updater (which said a few things needed to be updated) and went to the additional drivers tab. However once there it wasn't loading any driver info and had an error message. I reopened the software updater and updated and restarted the computer. Still same issue and the drivers tab wasn't loading so I followed this forum post: [How to] Reinstall NVIDIA Graphics Driver and it finally showed the drivers back in the drivers tab and I have selected nvidia-driver-535 and restarted and confirmed secure boot is off in the BIOS.

Unfortunately, same issue of only one monitor working so I grabbed my portable windows drive and booted it up on the desktop and all 3 monitors worked.

I am at a loss at what to do and any help would be appreciated.

Zorin OS Edition: 17 Pro
Kernel Info (from uname -a): Linux DT-002 6.5.0-27-generic #28~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Mar 15 10:51:06 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Video and Graphics info (from lshw -C video): *-display UNCLAIMED description: VGA compatible controller product: GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate] vendor: NVIDIA Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: a1 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list configuration: latency=0 resources: iomemory:400-3ff iomemory:440-43f memory:6e000000-6effffff memory:4000000000-43ffffffff memory:4400000000-4401ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:6f000000-6f07ffff *-graphics product: EFI VGA physical id: 1 logical name: /dev/fb0 capabilities: fb configuration: depth=32 resolution=1920,1080
About info:

(I find the graphics field llvmpipe strange, I would assume it should be NVIDIA RTX 3060 or something similar)

Display Settings:

Another thing to note: The one display coming up in display settings I cannot adjust resolution of and it has the refresh rate to 77 despite it being only a 60hz monitor.

Please let me know if anyone needs any more info!
Thanks,
Chris

I am wondering if this is a kernel update issue. Can you press Tab or hit left shift key at boot time to see GRUB menu and choose advanced boot mode and choose an earlier kernel? Also, out of curiosity, have you tried booting to 'Zorin Desktop on xorg'? The default is Wayland. When you click on your username at login, a cog appears bottom right - click on that and choose 'Zorin Desktop on Xorg' and see if that makes any difference.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I tried selecting an earlier kernel 6.5.0-26-generic was the only option other than 27-generic. Even with that selected I still only have one display.

I also tried what you were saying about switching to 'Zorin Desktop on Xorg' and there is no setting cog available anywhere at login (before selecting username, or after).

When selecting a kernel in the GRUB menu is that a temporary change or should I go back and set it again to what it was?

Thanks!
Chris

It should just be temporary.

I was doing some more digging, found this thread:

That led to me generating the nvidia crash report which didn't tell me anything new, but did confirm it down to 'driver not responding'.

I then found this thread based on the idea that nvidia driver not working with kernel 6.5.0 27:

Where basically gcc version needs to be 12 for it to be compiled and work. So I followed the commands outlined -

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-11 11
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-12 12
sudo update-alternatives --config gcc
(select gcc-12 here)

And then redid the steps from this forum post:

And voila! All three monitors working again and graphics reports using the card.

Thank you for your help @swarfendor437 ! And I hope this helps anyone else who encounters this problem.

• Chris
2 Likes

Hi ChrisD, Excellent work on your part. I believe your solution warrants to be in Tutorials and Guides, and on reflection perhaps the forum should have either a separate sub-forum of Troubleshooting Tips with sub divisions of Graphics and Audio and Networking which tend to be the three main areas post install and also split between Desktop and Notebooks (and Tablets?) @staff