DNS Nameservers

I've disabled (and stopped) systemd-resolved (the stub resolver) and replaced the resolv.conf contents with the nameservers of cloudflare and google DNS. However, the nameservers in resolv.conf file is being re-edited automatically and is replaced by

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 127.0.0.53

What am I missing?

Do you have any VPN or some sort of network monitoring program installed? I found that they tend to mess with this more than they should and keep causing issues. Unfortunately I never really found a good solution for this other than uninstalling them.

Can I ask why you're going through all this in this manner?

If you just select "automatic" under your network settings, the dns that will be used will be whatever you have on your router. Or you have the ability to enter the dns servers right there to ensure it will be written to the correct file used.

The problem with changing files in this manner is you don't know if you're changing the correct file. This should have been done through your network settings to ensure you're changing the correct thing.

Doing a simple google search of the IP address you put up, it seems there is more than just changing that one file.

Sorry that I didn't mentioned this.

I'm using Cloudflare WARP. At first I thought it's the one doing the changes, but I realize that, as you can see in the code block, NetworkManager is changing the nameservers back to stub resolver. I don't know why it's doing that.

For some reason this is no longer happening. Initially I thought it's happening when toggling WARP but now I see that WARP changes the nameservers back to what I set before enabling it.

Irrelevant to the situation at hand.

As I stated there is more to using the DNS than changing one file, as I found doing a simple google search on it.

Just enter your DNS through the network settings so that it goes to the correct file

Once you do that you can run resolvectl status and see if it is connecting to the correct dns.

There's this stub resolver managed by systemd-resolved service (by systemd) that symlinks the contents to resolv.conf file. This stub resolver caches the DNS responses so all DNS requests made by the system go to 127.0.0.53 instead of the DNS nameservers you specify in the resolv file.

In order to solve this, and in order to use WARP without problems I un-symlinked the file, changed the contents of resolv file to the ones I like, enabled WARP, and disbaled it. This allowed WARP to restore the file contents, so when WARP is disabled the contents are back to what they are.

Sorry if this bothered you. Thanks for your input.

Closing the post as it's resolved. I'll post again if I see any problems.

It didn't bother me at all... However you're attempting to do something using third party software that Zorin has nothing to do with.

Cloudflare Warp has step by step instructions on their website for their own software. I use Cloudflare but only their normal DNS servers requiring no extra steps to get nothing more in return. Which is what you original asked about.

Warp is nothing more than fancified pseudo VPN requiring extra steps. I don't use free VPN's, as they are inherently insecure no matter who is giving it to you. Cloudflare has the linux software to install with a gui for Warp.

Plus the fact you're trying to interject Google's DNS into Cloudflare's DNS into their own software as you stated above. Why would Cloudflare want you to use Google? It wouldn't, and their software only uses their own Cloudflare DNS.

Warp also isn't a VPN in the traditional sense, it doesn't hide your IP, location or anything else. All it does is supposedly encrypt your data to make using public wifi "safer".

You should not have to go around changing files and/or deleting files to get software to work, in particular when you are referring to DNS. This should be a red flag, that something isn't right with whatever you are using.

Ofcourse, I'm not using Google DNS while I'm using WARP.

By the way, doesn't warp hide my IP? My public IP does change. I'm okay that it's not changing my loacation - which in some way is what I want.

Hiding your IP is a new feature they just started a couple months back. However, there are a lot of people complaining their IP is still leaking.

But this is to be expected when you use something for free and is as convoluted as Warp is designed.

Acting as a VPN is not really the main design of Warp nor its intent.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.