Dual Boot Issue

Thank you, goodnight, bfn.

Yes, this issue is extremely perplexing, and as such, had me curious as a cat. Helping you to find a solution would make me happy, and I’m sure, Aravisian as well.

I too am super tired, and I’m going to bed. Will catch back tomorrow. Also, I’m thankful you have another computer. When I was a kid, I only had 1 computer, when it went down, I was devastated.

Ok, I checked up on the first command for terminal that changes font and it is apparently now outdated according to the link I read as of 2020-12-06.

Perhaps changing the resolution might work:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080

Rather than the above. Run the command below to get to a root prompt.

sudo -i

Enter your password. Now run the grub-mkfont command on its own.

grub-mkfont --output=/boot/grub/fonts/DejaVuSansMono48.pf2
–size=48 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf

Also should it be --size=48 not -size=48?

-chuckle- funny that you mention this. There are two dashes in my original post... But please reference here:

This forum is doing it to me as well. Converting double hyphen to single. Maybe need to use code blocks more often.

I get that sometimes with typing --command into word.

My suggestion was to get to the root prompt first and then run the command to stop sudo from hiding any issues with the command.

I’ve also had it in the past where, for example, sudo visudo failed to run but sudo -i then running visudo works.

1 Like

Let's test that- it sounds like a good suggestion:

test of gnome-shell --version

EDIT; am I losing my mind? The above has two clear dashes without code.
Let's try with the quote carrot

The double dash happens, like MS Word.

This – is converted.
– at the beginning of the line is converted.
–text at the beginning of the line is converted.
But --text doesn’t get converted.

@jgordon Just read through this thread. Concerned that OP complaining that 48 Font menu was way too big on his screen? Seen @Aravisian subsequently gave 12 Font as example to change to, not 48 Font (if I am not mistaken).

Sorry, my reply concentrated on the sudo issue and I quoted the original command.

I was hoping that with that issue out of the way qe can fix the font issue and tweak the size as necessary later.

No worries. So when OP gets back to this, he can substitute 12 (or another smaller font) instead of giant 48 Font in your post #60.

Thanks, I'll keep checking the thread for any updates.

Update:
Regarding above issue, after numerous attempts to find a solution low and behold I removed the SSD card, replaced it with a brand new one. Installed Zorin 15.3 u64b, then installed Linux Mint 20.1 rebooted system, no more issues everything's normal. This was all caused by a faulty copy of the Zorin 15.3 u64b corrupted image then installed into my computer, low and behold, problem solved. To all the individuals looking to find a solution thank you.

Maybe I'm missing something but that points to the SSD rather than the image. Regardless, I'm glad it's running.

I am glad that you were able to get it fixed in the end. Usually SSD drives don't get shipped out defective, but it can happen. If you buy a name brand, like Samsung, usually very reliable!

Regarding downloading installation ISO's, you always want to check the SHA256 checksum, and confirm file integrity. Never install an ISO that does not pass the SHA256 scan.

Glad everything is good now, now all you have to do is enjoy. :wink:

I tried numerous drives, each came up with the same issue, once I re-burned a new image to a USB drive, I inserted the USB and installed above distributions to my computer and that’s when everything lined up, again thanking everyone in the forum for their insight and help.

Thanks for your info

Thanks for the info

@49ner That is important. See this:

Thank you for the information.