Dual Boot - Keyboard and Mouse NOT Working after switching OS

So machine powered on. Choose Win7 from GRUB Menu. Win7 USB mouse etc OK.
From Win7 select "Restart", goes to GRUB Menu, Select Zorin. Zorin starts but USB mouse not OK.
Is that correct?

???? I am now totally confused having seen @Aravisian ref to the @Bourne post saying "I got it fixed".

1 Like

Yes i tried in bios settings usb one by one disabled and enabled and not help. Switching with two operating system. This what put a photo from bios is only enabled and disabled i don't have any auto then this is not working.

I think the answear is here.

It seems to be more prevalent problem than I've thought.

Yes I am reading that yesterday and changed this Legacy Enabled to auto. I restarted a keyboard to a factory and mouse maybe help. So we have a 3 Ehci Xhci and Legacy Support what need be enabled,disabled or auto. Ok I choose auto and xHCI - enabled and eXHCI - disabled? Check now. I know all keyboard and mouse from 2010 working with all Linux without a problem.

@Bourne. Can you give details of your motherboard?
From searches I see others had problems with particular Gigabyte motherboards.

2 Likes

I think he has MSI m/b.

Search using "Z97A GAMING 7 enable or disable xHCI hand-off in BIOS Ubuntu"

Found this: Z97A Gaming 7 - EHCI always claimed by XHCI drivers | MSI Global English Forum - Index

1 Like

I tried changing in bios this what was from this links. Not helped. One what I saw when back from linux to the w7 the light on mouse it is (when you see a bios starting first) when windows start not working. Then i understand driver controller are cut or not loaded. Only restart operative system help not button switch power off.

That is very curious.
I only have a laptop with dual boot (Zorin and Windows 11) and never dual boot on desktops.

This is not an issue with drivers. These mice use standard HID drivers provided by the operating system.

For the sake of clarity, please forget I mentioned mice at all. The issue is that any low-speed (USB 1.0) or high-speed (USB 2.0) device plugged into the USB 2.0 ports on the Z97A Gaming 7 board will be claimed by [any] operating system's XHCI (USB 3.0) drivers due to (as far as I've determined) a flaw in the ACPI code of the BIOS. This is a cross-platform issue unrelated to drivers which affects all ACPI-compliant operating systems.

EHCI (USB 2.0) drivers should actually handle the USB 2.0 root hubs, but they're being incorrectly reported as being owned by a USB 3.0 controller. The XHCI drivers of an operating system support this sorcery because they are backwards compatible with EHCI, as per the standard, but they unfortunately do not [ever] support user-specified polling intervals on interrupt URBs for some reason.
Then I understand this is problem motherboard and a bios? They release a new bios in 2016.

Maybe because this is a external hard disk. Maybe i change external hard disk Zorin from 2.0 to 3.0 if bios will se him from front panel.

I read that posting. It says:

EHCI (USB 2.0) drivers should actually handle the USB 2.0 root hubs, but they're being incorrectly reported as being owned by a USB 3.0 controller. The XHCI drivers of an operating system support this sorcery because they are backwards compatible with EHCI, as per the standard, but they unfortunately do not [ever] support user-specified polling intervals on interrupt URBs for some reason.

Wow - it is very bad :frowning:

In fact my second desktop Gigabyte m/b has a similar problem and I have to tweak etc/default/grub to make USB 3.0 ports to work in Linux.

As usual, you would never see this problem in Windows....

But this is weird when I switch forward from w7>Zorin working mouse and keyboard and when switch back Zorin>w7 then shortly time when started bios they exist but when start loading w7 they stop working. Question if they working forward why they cannot working back? I don't have a dual boot in my system. When I restart i need use boot menu F12 to choose a system. Without F12 it loading first system what is on bios settings. I know always is option if you want install Linux with another system. Zorin is only one operative system on this hard disk ssd he not share any data files.

For off chance, did you install a driver for your USB keyboard/mouse in Windows?

While Linux has all supported drivers included in kernel, Windows often requires drivers for peripherals for the optimal function.

iCUE Corsair mouse and update a firmware with keyboard Hyper X Origins Core only standard drivers from windows but Motherboard have a ASMedia USB3.0/3.1 Drivers

So to clarify the situation.

Win7 -> Zorin is OK
Zorin -> Win7 is problematic

M/B has a bug for USB 2.0 root hubs handling

If the above is the case, the only thing I can think of is to avoid USB 2.0 port all together.

i tried also put hub in port 2.0 also not working to the hub connected botj keyboard and mouse.
Yes that is correct

So to clarify the situation.

Win7 -> Zorin is OK
Zorin -> Win7 is problematic
asmedia

Clearly it is a "logical" problem for those USB 2.0 ports.

My main desktop has SATA ports with a buggy firmware. It took me about a month to figure that one out. Eventually I managed to disable it (impossible to do so from M/B BIOS) by flashing it with a compatible firmware.

To compensate those missing SATA ports, I installed a PCI-e expansion board to add 2 SATA ports. If you really need those USB ports, you could also try this work around.