Dual boot with Win 10 using RST

Ok so I know this topic has been gone over quite a bit however I really havent seen much in the way of having to deal with RST / Raid configurations.

My goal is to move away from Windows and to Linux / Zorin as my main workstation.

I already have one of my laptops completely running on Zorin Pro however I want to start really using it on my main system.

I have disabled the secure boot but as I was cautiously moving forward I found out that Zorin said I was running RST and it needed to be turned off. I did check my BIOS and found it was configured to a RAID setup.

In Zorin I seen the option where on install you can pick Run with windows or Something else.

Until I can get it tweaked and everything working on Zorin software wise (I have a couple of games I want to be able to run) then I will need access to both.

So looking for some guidance on the best / safest way to move forward and yes for disaster contingency I have done a back up image.

Thanks for any help with this!

Michael

Yes, you can install Zorin OS Alongside of Windows and Dual Boot.
Or, you can run Windows in a Virtual Machine, when needed.

Lastly, it is usually possible to install Windows OS after already having installed Zorin OS.
Of those options, which do you think would suit your needs the best?

1 Like

I have a windows 10 install currently where I have software that until I can get it to work on Zorin (Ubuntu) that I have to hang on to it.

So I would need to install Zorin alongside to win 10.

I seen a couple of ways of doing it with the installer however I need to have a safe secure way to change out the raid (RST) that is currently setup so I dont loose data and or have a system crash.

Thanks for the response!

1 Like

Also I know that I am set up for using UEFI with my windows so thats a consideration.

I have researched some and found where people prefer to manually create a partition and install to it.

I am normally inclined to use the software ie. in this case Zorin which has an option to install alongside windows.

I just want to make sure I know if I should look to stay with the windows boot menu or to implement grub?

Thanks again!

Grub will be implemented when you install a Linux OS unless you manually change that. Grub will manage bootloading, whether you are booting into Windows or Linux.
So, you do not need to choose a boot manager.
You can if you prefer to.

As to your initial question about RST, I apologize; I failed to notice that part of the question sooner.
That answer gets complex quickly, so I will start with a link that already delves into great detail:

Thanks for that info.

I found that same information which prompted me to ask here.

The installer reported the issue with RST and told me I had to disable it.

So that leaves me with the registry fixes to allow for AHCI and then disable RST but there still could be a boot issue.

Your thoughts?

As I understand it, there is a risk of boot issue should the above steps Not be followed.
Follow the instructions to avoid the boot risk.
Fortunately, even if a user faces the issue of non-bootable Windows OS, this is relatively easy to fix and the guide covers that possibility and solution, too.

Since you have seen and read the info- I can only surmise that your actual question is:
"Should I take these risks?"

I cannot determine what is "risky" for you.
What I can say is that life is filled with risks. Many of which are very rewarding if you beat them. In Computers, there are back ups we can make. Redundancies and risk mitigation that in reality - makes doing whatever we do on computers the least risky things we can do in life. The biggest risk in computers comes from not planning ahead, not following instructions or rushing in and doing things without backing up or saving our work.
I don't know how many times I watched a person struggling to decide whether to "accept" or "decline" at a pop up window... With a cigarette hanging off their lip.
Humans.

Well in part but I was really trying to get a handle on if there are any known factors that would cause that but true enough with the bcdedit the boot process should be able to be resolved.

Thanks for all your input!!!

1 Like

Well I followed that document and my system got in a boot loop.

I went into BIOS and set it back to raid and it came up in repair mode and I just had it restart and Im back to where I was.

I guess Im going to have to research the hardware and see if there is anything specific to Alienware and its chipsets.

From now on Im going to look at Linux ready hardware.

Ok so after having done what was in that article and after my last message to you I researched Dell / Alienware specifically and found the following:

(488) How to switch Raid or Ata mode to Ahci mode without reinstalling windows. - YouTube

Following the steps in that video worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.