Dual booting

@Aravisian what if i'll burn the zorin os core .iso on the flashdisk using

How I can make sure that it will be EFI same as the lite I have to avoide the dual boot problems

Balena defaults to EFI so you do not need to take any extra steps.

Also, the Boot order of the USB launch from the Motherboard sometimes offers to boot the USB or boot the USB (UEFI), so you may need to double check that from the boot menu of the M.B.

If it will ask for UEFI I must use UEFI or just USB ?
and If it won't ask anything then I can just install the os and that's it

I would proceed as normally and install as per the prompts given.

2 Likes

@Aravisian Last question if I'll make back up on zorin lite, can I use it later on zorin core and get all the programs and data on the new system ?

This depends on the nature of the backup. Common backup utilities will back up data, but not installed software.

Please see here:

@337harvey @Aravisian do you think guys if I'll edit the windows partition from Disks
and make it EFI (FAT-12/16/32) (0xef)
that can solve the problem of Dual booting so I can access the windows ?
and if I'll change it does it effect anything on the windows system like it can damage the file system or something ?

It Will Damage Your Windows File System.

The NTFS partition is a separate partition from the EFI Boot loader partition. Changing your Windows NTFS partition will cause loss of Windows OS and Data.

Can you open a terminal and please show me the output of

efibootmgr

Actually I tried AND IT DIDN'T HELP now i return it back to NTFS I hope it did't damage the windows
I'll try to burn the windows using the balenaEtcher and access the windows again

oof

Looks like boot order 4 is UEFI OS - may be Windows... Given what you tried above... This makes an odd situation.

What does

sudo os-prober

show?

nothing at all

So, you have a bootloader entry for something that may be or may have been Windows, but the os-prober is not showing Windows OS at all.

Let's try a more complicated command:

grep -E "^(menuentry|submenu)" /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -d"'" -f2 | nl -v0

Copy and paste the command into terminal for ease of use.

1 Like

Yes, Windows OS is nowhere to be found.

I cannot offer an explanation since I lack inside information on what has happened previously... Zorin OS installation should not remove or affect Windows OS unless the option to Wipe disk and Install is selected.

But I would say at this point the best option is to consider Windows OS a goner.
Did you have data loss if Windows OS is inaccessible (personal files, etc)?

the windows as you know it's on another hard disk
now the point that I need to access the windows try to remove the restriction from the bluetooth so I can use it on linux

And you are certain that disk is mounted - connected?
You can check if mounted using Disks app in app menu.

If the disk is not showing at all; this means it is not getting power or is not connected.

it's mounted

120 GB this is the SSD which contains the windows

It says not mounted, but that is to be expected. It shows it is MBR legacy boot...
And it is showing in disks meaning connected with power.

All you need Windows OS for is for it to boot up to access its Power Settings, right?

Why not try completely shutting the computer down. Disconnect Power Supply.
If it is a Desktop PC - remove the CMOS battery.
Let it sit for a while... an hour... Whatever.
If it is a notebook computer... Remove the Battery after disconnecting any power supply cords (if easily possible remove the CMOS battery...) If unable to remove the CMOS battery, let it sit for in exccess of an hour.

Then try booting up Zorin OS and testing if the Hardware has been released.

the partition itslef mounted

the Not Mounted is the System Reserved and I can mount it so easily
I use laptop and without battery