Dualboot Windows 11 and Zorin

I've "fooled" Windows 11 into installing on a Dell Inspiron 1720. No UEFI and No TPM. (I'm Microsoft certified, and fooling Windows is laughably simple. It's Linux that's giving me a hard time whilst I learn :grinning: Regardless, Zorin won't install as a dualboot alongside Windows 11. I'm not sure if that's worth considering when updating Zorin installation process.

The Dell is back on Windows 10 / Zorin 15 Lite again now so everything good here.

Windows is dead to me ... i really don't understand why people still using a spyware software like windows on their system. Why use a virus scanner or anti malware ? People keep trusting them. Give a kid a "free" cookie and they bite.

Microsoft was never free, why all of the sudden it is ? (Windows 8-11). Because they can track/follow you!

2 Likes

Some of us have no choice.
For my job, I must use a special database app which only works in Windows. My solution is virtualizing Windows for making it more manageable.

The above mentioned dual-boot is for my testing machine. I do not have anything other than Windows 11 by itself in the Windows partition.

2 Likes

I am dual-booting Windows 11 with Zorin 15,3 without any issue.
It is a 10 years old Acer Aspire which only has a legacy BIOS.

1 Like

I just split the thread for those who are still having a issue for Dual-booting Windows 11 and Zorin.

1 Like

What we do know for sure, is that Microsofts claims in Windows11 is all about making it more secure. But in doing so, I think they have locked things up tighter then Fort Nox, and is not allowing any other OS, to be installed along side it.

Sure, you can disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, and turn off the TPM unit, but would it still allow an install of Zorin along side?

You see, Microsoft can talk about security all the want, but the real truth is, Microsoft wants to be the dominator in the industry, and they only want their OS on people's machines, they don't want others installed.

Even with Windows10 its not that easy to dual boot, lots of people come on here talking about issue with that. What I do like about your post is about you beat their security in their Win11 installer, no doubt doing the steps that LTT talked about in their video from awhile back.

Just goes to show, Microsoft isn't as smart as they think they are.

3 Likes

I'm Microsoft Certified. Old qualifications (70-210, 70-270 and 70-290 MCSEs, 20+ MCPs) which is appropriate as I'm old too. But Windows has ever been weak on security, especially when dealing with network shared folders. Windows 11, for all of its supposedly improved security, still carries those weaknesses right up to the present day. Microsoft account passwords still do not update when logging in to shared folders. Change your Microsoft password and see. Shared Folder login will still ask for you previous password. I'm still in my infancy learning Linux but I've already created a local file server that's bomb proof compared to Windows. The learning process is slow at my age but I'm enjoying the experience of something completely new.

3 Likes

Can I ask how you did it? I'm focusing all of my attention on Zorin 16 Pro for now, and that version wants to erase the entire disk unless I look at doing a manual install. Any info you can share would be genuinely appreciated.

This laptop used to have Windows 10 and Zorin 15,3.
I basically upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11.

To that end, I edited Windows registry during the upgrade process to evade the TPM 2.0 detection.

It is also possible to clean install Windows 11 on unsupported systems with an additional registry editing.

I only have an experience for dual-boot with Zorin 15,3 Lite.
I hope someone with an experience with Zorin 16 dual-boot can answer your question.

I never thought of upgrading from 10 to 11. Duh, old age is slowing my thinking. Windows 10 / Zorin 16 pro is pretty much an automated process when installing. I've previously used Zorin 15 Lite on this Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop as Zorin 16 is too heavy.

I'll create a Windows 10 / Zorin 15 Lite dualboot for now, then upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. Editing the registry is one option though it not really needed. Just re-write the install to ignore the checks. Windows 11 Security, yeah, it rocks lol. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I am not a young thing either :sweat_smile:

MS security is nothing in front of us old hackers :nerd_face:

2 Likes

You seem to know your way around this whole Linux experience. So... What's happening when I try and install a dual boot Windows 10 /Zorin 15 Education Lite? This Dell Inspiron 1720 comes with 2 HDD installed. When I install Zorin 15 as the dual boot it forces itself on to the 2nd drive, no option to select sda. I don't get this if i want to install Zorin 16 pro. Windows i understand, Linux is still voodoo at the moment and progress can be slow at times.

Far from it, really.
I have been using a computer since DOS era, but I seriously switched over to Linux less than 10 years ago (minus 2 years which I spent as a Hackintosh user).

While I have no experience with it, I think the Education Lite should behave the same as Lite.

I am a cheater and solve this dual/multiple boot issue physically:
https://forum.zorin.com/uploads/default/original/2X/d/df32fbfa32300f1df4536fbfb00422875cd5bb1e.jpeg

I used to be a system integrator and that skill goes a long way thanks to my ex :wink:

You really need someone who knows dual-boot with Zorin 16 to chip in here. All my Zorin 16 installation is stand alone.

2 Likes

I go back even further than that. Card machines. After a few years we got on to ZX80s and Pets. I'm a textiles mechanic by trade, wrote a lot of file compressors for C64 and Amiga. Dos was much later. I mastered PKZip so this obviously meant I was a computer whizz and got the job of installing a wired network for sending work / programs to the knitting machines. Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White Brown. I can't remember how many wires I made up, or roof tiles I fell through. The company I worked for paid for all of my qualifications. 20+ MCPs / MCSEs, A+, N+ Security+ and all sorts of others. I never worked on computers though despite all that lol. Textiles all the way.

This?
http://www.cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/index.php/Jacquard_Loom

Funny, the punch card looks like exactly what I had to use at my university in Japan.

1 Like

LOL now those are old. I only ever saw a few of those machines. Filigree Textiles at South Normanton, UK. The versions I saw were much more modern. They had circular card disks on a wheel.

No, I was talking about a mainframe at Heanor College, UK. One of their old machines was programmed on punch cards. We used to take our (very short) programs to an elderly lady who would turn our code in to punch cards so that we could use the old mainframe. I can't remember what it was called, but I can remember that it could handle 1.2k instructions a second. Yes, 1200 instructions a second. It was a BEAST lol.

And just to clarify, it was ancient, even compared to me. But... It still worked, and we still used it. Time on the IBM was precious, always lol.

1 Like

Interestingly, the traditional punch cards still have their place in the artisanal textile making in Kyoto.
https://www.japantextilesalon.com/archive/2018-whatson.html

The traditional machine can only use paper punch cards to produce patterns.

1 Like

Fascinating. It's a form of textiles I've not spent a lot of time with. Flat bed, Fall plate machines were never very good for plating lycra which is essential for stretch wear. In fact they were notoriously difficult to get working successfully with lycra. I worked on Single and Double Jersey jacquards and stripers, and flat bed lace for the first half of my career. I switched to Socks and Tights for the 2nd half. Obviously my Microsoft certifications were absolutely essential for the work I was doing (not lol). The fascinations with computers has persisted, even though I never worked on any kind of Microsoft Networks, Domains / Forests etc.

Linux is my new project, and slowly but surely I'm making progress. More often learning from my mistakes, than from mastering anything I read in books.

1 Like

When it comes technology, nothing can replace a hands-on experience. Reading books is like trying to learn swimming without going into water to me.

I think I made a big progress in Linux after I discovered Raspberry Pi some years ago. They are great inexpensive machines to lean Linux with. They are designed for clumsy little hands of young kids and extremely durable. Even one made a mistake, the financial damage would be minimal compared with a regular computer.

I am currently running a whole house "non-smart" speakers, printer server, pi-hole, Wordpress and Openmediavault with RasPi :slight_smile:

I am planning to write a tutorial for RasPi for this forum during the upcoming holiday season :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

No that I'm eagerly looking forward to as her that wears the trouser has promised me a Pi from Santa. She knows I'm in charge really though, she said she will let me wear the trouser if I really want to.

1 Like