Eliminate shutdown confirmation

I don't want to click a confirmation or wait 60 seconds when I click Start -> shutdown. I commanded a shutdown, so just do it already! Where do I need to go to eliminate this dialog, or at least change the countdown to 5 seconds or 0 seconds?

I'm not sure why your system is waiting a whole minute, as mine does not to shut down..

Terminal - type- " shutdown now".

2 Likes

There's a good reason for the timer to be there. There have been a few occasions when I have told a GNU/Linux box to shut down when I have suddenly remembered I intended to write an email or some other task which prompted the need to press 'cancel'!

3 Likes

Tapping the shutdown icon a second time will override the timer.

You can also remove the timer and dialog with

gsettings set org.gnome.SessionManager logout-prompt false
3 Likes

I've actually never felt the need to cancel a shutdown, but this computer is so fast on shutdown and boot (once it starts the shutdown procedure) it wouldn't be a major issue. But your reasoning would be an excellent argument to change the timeout from 60 seconds to 5. Enough time to abort if necessary but not so much that I feel the need to make the extra mouse click to confirm shutdown. And I was unable to find any option to change that timeout setting.

I read somewhere that it does not work in earlier versions of ubuntu as it was hard coded, so perhaps it has changed. You can change settings in MATE.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.