English as a foreign language

It has - a lot. And it is right to acknowledge that. But it also means we must remain vigilant. Seeing improvement means... it is also human nature to think "Jobs done, let's quit."
It's improved, not fixed.

And many women do the same, accusing men of typical male stereotypes.

I remember when my son was an infant and at that age, - where I went, he went. I carried him everywhere. Women would stop me and ask about him, "oh, he's so cute"... You know the routine. But when they found out I was a single dad, they would say, "Where's his momma? The boy needs his momma."

If I had been a single mom they would have said, "Oh, you're so brave" But as a dad - I'm not good enough. You'd be amazed at how often women would check my sons diaper. As if I didn't know how.

2 Likes

In fact, the most difficult thing to translate is one's own writing. When I was working to create a trilingual website for my husband, I gave up to translate my own writing in Japanese (or vice-versa). I'd rather write something of the same content in English/Japanese from scratch.

It was because no matter how hard I tried, I had a feeling that it was impossible to translate everything I wanted to say.

When we visited René Magritte (my favourite painter) museum in Brussels some years ago, I discovered that he never gave a title to his paintings. Instead, he always asked his friend to name the painting. I can fully appreciate the painter's feeling. Whichever the title he chose, he must have gotten a feeling of dissatisfaction. A limitation of the words and language.

You are one of the clearest on here, in my opinion.
I type on here chaotically and without remorse.

Always in a big hurry.

Your comment reminds me of a story I read about a Journalist who studied from a True Master of the English Language. The professor was Strict and Perfect, no paper ever returned to a student without corrections, suggestions and lots of red ink.
The student initially thought that only a fool needed a dictionary. But this master teacher had a huge dictionary on his desk and referenced it often. The student realized that there is humility in accepting what you do not know and that there is no shame in always learning, and bought a dictionary too. He went on to become a prize winning writer.
In later years, he met with his former professor and learned that the professor did not know anything about English. He was near retirement when his primary job was phased out, so the school found a place to stick him until retirement.
Because this professor did not know anything about the subject, he had to research and study how to teach the students and how to correct and grade papers. I cannot imagine the hours he put in each week.

I have this problem in Math and Science constantly. :expressionless:

1 Like

Me too. Whilst using UK English, I also try to consider if alternative words are needed to be clear in US English.
There are many local language variations throughout UK. I remember someone years ago using I believe a Cornish phrase "better way be". You constanty have to retune to local dialects as you travel around.

As a kid watching old Are You Being Served reruns on PBS, I was often confused.
Now, I get some of the humor...

"There's been a Take Over offer by Lally and Willets!"
"That's a Bristol firm, isn't it?"
"Nevermind where they all hang out..."

I really don't get it.

1 Like

Yeah... Yeah, that's true.

Me too :roll_eyes:

@Aravisian said it is adult humour.

2 Likes

I suppose you and I are too young to understand it :rofl:

2 Likes

So are you? I think @Aravisian mean it was not appropriate for the forum. IDK :man_shrugging:

You did not get my sense of humour.
I think I can compete with your granny when it comes to age.

1 Like

My grandma (Paternal) is almost 80, my maternal grandma is almost 70

OK, I was wrong.
I lost :grin:

1 Like

"Oh Clayborne? Strides for the omie with the naf riah."

I am totally lost for that one.

It's a better hint that kedrik can use in his searching.

What? :thinking:

I got this:

Pants for the Man with the Bad Hair
The translation and hints should narrow your search results to the right place. And that is as far as I am willing to go.

2 Likes

That's a point. I also have to deal with Australian English some days now. Snags, Arvo etc.