English as a foreign language

I am, but I'm extremely lazy. Got high marks all the time in Math and Science. I'm bad at my Chinese and Bahasa Melayu (Native Language of Malaysia).

I find it difficult to learn a new language, I have always spoke English because I was raised in the US and I moved to Malaysia.

1 Like

I remember when I was a student - many many days before computers and game consoles, our favourite after school past time was someone wrote a complex equation on the blackboard and we competed who can solve that one first.

But your English is very good.
It is even better than sloppy native speakers :wink:

2 Likes

But I'm Chinese, my father said, "that Chinese don't know how to speak in Chinese?" I mean he wasn't angry or anything, he is just telling me to learn my mother tongue.

2 Likes

To learn another language, one should master his/her mother language. I once was a Japanese language teacher in an English speaking country and this was my personal observation.

2 Likes

@Kedric The problem of learning a foreign language, if you are normally an English speaker, is continued use of the "foreign" language. i.e. if you don't use it you loose it, like Last-In-First-Out memory. In your case you should be immersed in Mandarin and Chinese Bahasa Melayu so that should not be a problem for you. I believe English and Chinese language skills will serve you well in future years.

3 Likes

Exactly that is my thinking!

eh... did we deviate from the theme of this thread too much? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In a word yes, but you noticed :smiley_cat: You can alway excercise your magic wand and do the splits.

@Kedric Question: has "bruh" replaced "Lah" in Malaysia or is it additional?

2 Likes

Depends, I think when we speak our native languages we will add 'Lah' but when I speak English I don't.

1 Like

I think that was a favourite introjection by @Alpha-Craft not by @Kedric.

One advantage of using English as a non-native speaker.
We tend to be more polite and make an effort to be grammatically correct.

2 Likes

Thanks for remind me of that :slight_smile:
With my magic wand :star2: we were warped to the new thread.

2 Likes

So could you. :wink:

1 Like

That explains your excellent English capability.

My situation is completely opposite.

I studied English on my own since my parents refused to "waste" any money on girl's education. I listened to the English course on a radio for 13 years before be able to speak English. It was a short 15 minutes programme, but listening to it everyday worked a wonder.

1 Like

You do not want me doing the splits, that sounds painful :rofl:

1 Like

Glad I split the thread before you showing up :sweat_smile:

When my maternal grandmother was studying, she got a scholarship to study in Oxford, but her family said that a woman is supposed to just get married and have kids.

2 Likes

Such thinking is a menace of many Asian cultures including Japan.
It is changing gradually though. Now we have a female prime minister candidate for the first time in the Japanese history.

1 Like

But of course in this modern age, thinking like that is no more.

1 Like

It's still common.

It is human nature... no matter the culture, country or how much melanin you have in your skin.
It is interesting to me that the very differences people stereotype show how similar we actually are. The fallacy of Prejudice.

I know many men that act real emotional - and the guys tease them saying, "You are acting like a woman." Yet, it's men acting this way. They don't see the fallacy of the stereotype.

Questioning these assumptions, or even the things we are raised with - are the only course available to overcome these styles of thinking.

2 Likes

It has at least improved

1 Like

And of course men will have no hesitation to blame women to be childish and emotional. In psychology, it is called "projection".

But knowing where this thinking pattern coming from makes it easier to deal with such situations.

1 Like