Error on kernel 5.15.0-89, can't boot

I haven't used Zorin in a while because I wanted to try out using as my daily OS LMDE 5, and then upgraded to 6. The experience with it was alright, but after a month I decided to go back to Zorin, since it just works smoother in my laptop

Cleaned the KDE Plasma mess I left in here before distro-hopping and once that was done I updated the packages. Something that caught my attention was a new error at the end of the installation of a new kernel version, so I tried to fix it with the command that was suggested and that failed aswell. Didn't give it much importance, as I'm used to seeing errors that don't mean anything serious on there (the one that goes "Possible missing firmware amdgpu" getting spammed sure got me scared when I saw it for the first time :sweat_smile:)

However, I then rebooted the laptop and... it was unable to boot

then I tried booting with the previous kernel version and that did work, so clearly that error I got during the installation really did mean something

I forgot to take a screenshot of the original error, but the command I tried to use to fix it was still saved on the terminal's command history, so I could take a screenshot of that

(Highlighted the only unusual part, everything else has always appeared and worked fine)

I wouldn't mind setting the working kernel as the default one, that's what I'm going to do as soon as I finish writting this (I have seen it be suggested in many other help requests, I'm sure I can follow instructions from one of those), but if someone knows what's happening here and it's not too hard to fix, it would be appreciated. In any case, this could count as a bug report, as older and newer versions of the kernel work fine on this same laptop (5.15.0-88 and the 6.1 LMDE uses)

Can you boot into the working kernel and run

sudo update-initramfs -u -k 5.15.0-89

sudo update-grub

then test a normal boot on the -89?

tried to boot the -89 and the same error appears

Are the 5.15.0-89-modules not installed?

sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-89-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-89-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-89-generic

juanjose@juanjose-Aspire-ES1-523:~$ sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-89-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-89-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-89-generic
[sudo] contraseña para juanjose:         
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
linux-headers-5.15.0-89-generic ya está en su versión más reciente (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1).
fijado linux-headers-5.15.0-89-generic como instalado manualmente.
linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic ya está en su versión más reciente (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1).
fijado linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic como instalado manualmente.
linux-modules-5.15.0-89-generic ya está en su versión más reciente (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1).
fijado linux-modules-5.15.0-89-generic como instalado manualmente.
linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-89-generic ya está en su versión más reciente (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1).
fijado linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-89-generic como instalado manualmente.
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
2 no instalados del todo o eliminados.
Se utilizarán 0 B de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
¿Desea continuar? [S/n] s
Configurando initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.7) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Configurando linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1) ...
Procesando disparadores para initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.7) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-88-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_gpu_info.bin for m
odule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for modul
e amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_rlc.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for mo
dule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_me.bin for modu
le amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_pfp.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_ce.bin for modu
le amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma1.bin for m
odule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma.bin for mo
dule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdg
pu
basename: operando extra «with»
Pruebe 'basename --help' para más información.
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-88-generic with 1.
dpkg: error al procesar el paquete initramfs-tools (--configure):
 el subproceso instalado paquete initramfs-tools script post-installation devolv
ió el código de salida de error 1
Procesando disparadores para linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic (5.15.0-89.99~20.04.1
) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-89-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_gpu_info.bin for m
odule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for modul
e amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_rlc.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for mo
dule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_me.bin for modu
le amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_pfp.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_ce.bin for modu
le amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma1.bin for m
odule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma.bin for mo
dule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for mod
ule amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdg
pu
basename: operando extra «with»
Pruebe 'basename --help' para más información.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-89-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error al procesar el paquete linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic (--configure):
 el subproceso instalado paquete linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic script post-insta
llation devolvió el código de salida de error 1
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
 initramfs-tools
 linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
juanjose@juanjose-Aspire-ES1-523:~$ 

this is the same error that i saw and didn't give too much importance to when i was updating packages before, it happened again with the command you suggested

"Possible missing firmware" tends to note a placeholder for future released AMD drivers. You often can overcome that by manually downloading the firmware modules and moving them to /lib/firmware/amdgpu/

This may not be necessary, though, if you install a kernel that has them.

What is the highest kernel you have installed, so far?

on Zorin, the highest working kernel was the 5.15.0-88

LMDE 6 uses the 6.1 kernel and that not just worked, but also had some performance improvements on games with wine over the 5.10 that LMDE 5 used

On manjaro I have the 6.5 kernel installed, but im not sure if that counts, since dependency errors appear every time i try to install/remove/update packages ever since i installed it

I don't know if VM's work differently but I upgraded kernel from Tuxinvaders to 6.2, no issues. (Running Zorin 16.3 as a VM using virt-manager on KDE neon.)

You can try the TuxInvader kernel

Remove the 5.15.0-89, it is just not working out

sudo apt --fix-broken install

TuxInvader:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.02

1 Like

tried that one and the exact same error happens

Interesting... what about:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.03

update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-6.3.13-060313-generic with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error al procesar el paquete linux-image-unsigned-6.3.13-060313-generic (-
-configure):
 el subproceso instalado paquete linux-image-unsigned-6.3.13-060313-generic scri
pt post-installation devolvió el código de salida de error 1
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
 initramfs-tools
 linux-image-unsigned-6.2.16-060216-generic
 linux-image-5.15.0-89-generic
 linux-image-unsigned-6.3.13-060313-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

the terminal gave the same error as the other kernels did, so im guessing trying to boot to it would give the same error

Do you have secure boot enabled in your BIOS settings?

Also, you might run

sudo apt install --reinstall plymouth-*

1 Like

No, manually disabled it a few days ago after adding LMDE's grub as a trusted EFI file on the bios, and I doubt it would have enabled by itself, since I can still boot to that system

also, just to point this out: it appears the kernels arent the only ones giving the error: tried to install gimp from gnome software and I got the same error

gonna try with the command you just said and i'll see if that fixes it

it works!
that command fixed what was broken and now the newer kernel works

and on top of that, everything now seems to load way faster than it ever did before, so using that 6.3 kernel that you suggested me to use really did wonders to my laptop

the only thing i would point out is that every mention of zorin in the boot animation and the grub menu was replaced with ubuntu studio, but i wouldnt consider that a problem

and seeing how the solution was just reinstalling plymouth leads me to believe I was the one to break something some weeks ago when I was trying to make a custom boot animation without being too sure of what I was doing :sweat_smile: oh well, next time I'll make sure to test new things on a virtual machine and not on my main install when I'm not too sure of them. Thank you for helping!

Yes and I suspect you have another Repository added. The Ubuntu Studio logo should not replace the Zorin logo otherwise.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.