Ethernet controller not working

hey all, this is my first post as I am newbie to zorin and all linux based systems, trying it out as I dont wanna use windows.
I installed zorin 16 and soon as booted in no ethernet working, I went and bout a wifi dongle and it recognized straight away and I have internet now. I want to use ethernet tho as speed on wifi to slow for what I do at work. I have spent a couple weeks trying to install new drivers and now im not getting newhere so reaching out for help
my ethernet card is built in to motherboard msi b360 gaming, I have found out it is using e1000 driver and also this
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1f.6
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.6
version: 10
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:a4200000-a421ffff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@1:14
logical name: wlx7cc2c60ab814
serial: 7c:c2:c6:0a:b8:14
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8xxxu driverversion=5.11.0-41-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.15.100 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

which says its unclaimed, dont know if that is the reason for not working. Now weird thing is I installed vmware on this computer so I can run one windows program that dosent work on wine or crossovers for my work and the ethernet card works in a vmware version of windows thru zorin - weird right.
Any help would be great I wanna get this working
Jason

The drivers for that card do not appear to be included in the standard mainline kernel. The HardWare Enablement kernel does include it.
You might try:

sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04 && sudo reboot

1 Like

hi there, thanks for response I have tried that and it says I already have latest version installed but I did as such and still no joy. Is the only way to get working to go and buy another ethernet card for my pc?

You might try

sudo modprobe -r e1000e

sudo modprobe e1000e

Then reboot and test (If reboot is necessary).
If still no good, your BIOS may need to be updated, first. Which may get complicated...

1 Like

well I just got up the road to computer hardware store bought a $6 ethernet card and all is working now. It still would have good to see if it worked:P I tried that previous one from someones recommendation I read on a forum and didnt work either. I am going to put it down to ethernetcard being build in to motherboard and no supported:(

Very kind thanks for your prompt help I appreciate it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.