Ethernet won't connect in Zorin OS 16

Yesterday, my ethernet stopped working on my computer, returning this error whenever I try to plug the cable in:
Right now, the only way I can get internet is via USB tethering on my phone. When I look on the back panel of my computer, the ethernet port is flashing a solid green light, yet Zorin cannot connect. When it was working, the other LED on the port would be flashing Yellow, but it isn't now.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Can you run the following in terminal:

resolvectl flush-caches

sudo service network-manager restart

If that does not get ethernet working, please run

sudo lshw -C network

and post that output here. There may be an issue with drivers - or a recent update may have elevated your kernel. Booting to grub menu > Advanced Options for Zorin and selecting an earlier kernel to boot from would be the way to check if it is the recent kernel that is the issue.

The "resolvectl flush-caches" and "sudo service network-manager restart" unfortunately did not get my ethernet back.
Here's the output of "sudo lshw -C network":
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eno1
version: 04
serial: 24:be:05:21:34:99
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=5.15.0-76-generic duplex=full firmware=0.13-4 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:30 memory:fe400000-fe41ffff memory:fe428000-fe428fff ioport:f080(size=32)
*-network
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@2:1.8
logical name: usb0
serial: 46:43:b0:38:a3:90
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=rndis_host driverversion=5.15.0-76-generic duplex=half firmware=RNDIS device ip=192.168.53.60 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair

This shows two distinct ethernet devices. Do you have two ethernet ports on the back of the computer?

Doesn't look like it. I have one ethernet port on the back panel, and my phone is plugged into the front panel for internet with usb tethering. If I unplug my phone and run the command again, the second ethernet device disapears and leaves this:

*-network
product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eno1
version: 04
serial: 24:be:05:21:34:99
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=5.15.0-76-generic duplex=full firmware=0.13-4 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:30 memory:fe400000-fe41ffff memory:fe428000-fe428fff ioport:f080(size=32)

1 Like

Ah - that solves that.
Well, your hardware is showing and the database shows that it should work OOB:

Let's try using module prober:

sudo modprobe -r e1000e && sudo modprobe e1000e

Just ran it, terminal didn't say anything and went to asking for another command:

That is normal. If there are no errors and no verbose responses, it will not say anything.
That means the command successfully was run.

I see. After I ran it, my ethernet didn't come back

I found this bug report:

That suggests this driver as the solution (post number 4):
Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections under Linux* - FINAL RELEASE?

His instructions are to extract the file, then open a terminal within the extracted directory and run

./configure

make

sudo make install

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ethernet intermittently stops working

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.