Extensions causing trouble on sleep, lock & reboot

Hello everyone.

I did know that 17 beta was never meant to be stable - but I hope someone can provide insight into this. I noticed that my laptop appeared to be "rebooting" when I closed the lid. All open windows would be gone, and Firefox would ask if I would like to restore tabs that were open.
Also, when I pressed Super + L to lock the laptop, the screen wouldn't instantly switch to the lock screen, the one with the clock. It would black out for a bit, then show the account selection menu. I apologize for the not-a-screenshot:

Upon signing in again, all the programs are closed as if I signed out instead of just locking the machine.

It gets even worse after a reboot:

All of the extensions are disabled, and while keeping them disabled does prevent the locking/signing out issue, I would very much prefer keeping them on since I like the Windows 10-like layout.

I only had one other third party extension apart from default Zorin ones, and disabling or uninstalling that did not help.

This is the log.

17:11:00 gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
17:10:58 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
17:10:56 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
17:10:53 gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
17:10:49 gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
17:10:48 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
17:10:46 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
17:10:43 gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
17:09:40 gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
17:09:38 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
17:09:36 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
17:09:33 gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
17:09:09 gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
17:09:08 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
17:09:05 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
17:08:56 gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
17:08:51 systemd: Failed to start Portal service (GTK/GNOME implementation).
17:04:46 gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
17:04:44 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
17:04:42 gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
17:04:38 gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
17:04:25 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.

I just hope upgrading to the full release coming in the following weeks will magically fix the problem. If not, I'll have to format and re-install which I really would like to avoid.

1 Like

Do you know what version of Gnome shell the extensions were designed for? I read somewhere that the Devs have done a lot of tweaking of the backend using Gnome Shell 45.

1 Like

EDIT-Removed tag since the stylesheet is not Zorin Modified-EDIT

There is currently a lot of behind-the-scenes work on determining the best Gnome Version to utilize and the best extensions to use without conflicts.
Your feedback on this may assist in that.

In the meantime, I am leaving this in General Help rather than moving it to Feedback , since this may produce a solution in thread without relying on it being solely feedback for the developers.

Solved - I did a bunch of testing by toggling one extension off at a time and found that the problem originated from the taskbar extension.
I did modify the stylesheet of the taskbar a few days ago, and reverted the change because that was the only thing I touched.
That appears to have solved the problem. It still baffles me how the stylesheet has caused it to happen, but I'm just glad I solved it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.