Failed Upgrade 16.3 core to 17 core: Unmet Dependencies

Correct, sudo apt install libmutter-11-0 doesn't work, it errors out saying its been held back because of unmet dependencies.

Installing libgtk-3-0 goes thru fine.

So, libgtk is installed but libmutter don't want to be installed ... Are there any other unmet Dependencies listed?

Correct, libgtk-3-0 is installed, but libmutter-11-0 will not install.

No other dependencies, at least its not flagging any right now.

Hmm ... Okay, let's try it with Synaptic. If You don't have Synaptic installed You can find it in the Gnome Software Store or You install it with the Terminal with the Command sudo apt install synaptic and there You search for libmutter.

I just installed Synaptic, but it won't launch since I only have a terminal interface. When Synaptic tries to launch it says Failed to initialize GTK. Is there a way to install libmutter using synaptic in the CLI interface?

To be honest I don't know. Maybe can @Aravisian or another more experienced User give an Advice to You.

Or You make a Cut and do a fresh Install of Zorin 17 if You have Your Data's saved.

I was considering using a live boot usb of Zorin 17 to try to run a repair job? Not sure if this will work or not.

First, I would recommend checking your Sources.
If packages are conflicting, there may be a package source conflict.

Once all sources are corrected or verified, you should be able to successfully run the commands suggested by @Ponce-De-Leon and @337harvey:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

2 Likes

Pretty sure the sources look good, at least from what I can tell in the terminal. And when running apt update and apt upgrade it hits 10 URL that are all Jammy. But running the last three commands for update/upgrade, dpkg configure, and install reinstall desktop still gives unmet dependencies:

@deltaONE11, the link to thread I posted above is pretty detailed. Please follow the tips within it to check your sources to a higher level of confidence than "pretty sure."
For example, (you do not need to elevate to Root privileges to do this) open /etc/apt/sources.list.d and ensure all files within state "Jammy" and not "focal".

1 Like

The only items listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d are:

zorin.list
zorin.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-jammy.list
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-jammy.list
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-jammy.list
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-jammy.list

Then running:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

still fails saying:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
   libmutter-11-0 : Breaks: libgtk-3-0 (< 3.24.33-1ubuntu2~) but 3.24.33-1ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any other things to check?

No errors to my knowledge during upgrade. Running sudo apt dist-upgrade -y did nothing, returned:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Maybe You could try to install first libmutter-10-0 and when this works libmutter-11-0

Launch Software & Updates and ensure that all four of the first checkboxes are checked:

• Canonical-supported free and open source (main)
  • Community-maintained free and open-source (Universe)
  • Proprietary drivers (restricted)
  • Software restricted by copywrite (multiverse)

Download From: Main server

Now click Other software tab and ensure that CDROM:Zorin
is unchecked.

Manually installed libmutter-10-0 using sudo apt install libmutter-10-0 which installed successfully. Then running sudo apt install libmutter-11-0 bombs out again with same held broken packages error.

1 Like

I can't launch this. I have no gui right now, its terminal only.

1 Like

No problem. Running

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

should output the configuration so we can see if all the above are checked for that file.

1 Like

Might have hit some progress here. I opened up another laptop that I successfully upgraded to Zorin 17 and cat out its sources.list file and compared it to what I have on this problematic one.

Turns out there were several sources that were commented out, so I un-commented and added back in some missing ones to the file. Then ran update and full-upgrade and its now updating 177 files and adding 3 new ones. In the list of 177 being updated is libmutter-10-0. So we'll see what happens when this finishes.

1 Like

Sorry it was hard to give exactly was I was seeing, short of bad pictures with tiny font, since the gui was not loading and all I had was a terminal interface. So limited or no options for two windows, copy/paste, opening gui tools etc.

Normally I open two windows and use a text compare tool to check it all, but not able to here.

1 Like

Got it fixed here after comparing the sources.list and adding/un-commenting lines.

Thank you for the assistance.