Fallback to default sound device doesn't work

I love the fact the devs have implemented a quick sound device switcher in the panel on Zorin OS 17 Pro (and Core).

There is one missing thing for it to work properly though:

Say you connect your laptop to your TV via HDMI and watch a film with sound over HDMI. You then unplug the HDMI cable and want to use your on-board sound card. There is no quick way to do it, because the little arrow to quickly change the sound device is now missing (there are no multiple devices available).
So you need to go back to settings -> sound to change it like you had to do in 16.3. You will notice that there is a blank entry for the missing HDMI sound device now. This is not happening in macos or Windows.

I hope the issue can be addressed in the future.

1 Like

You can use pavucontrol to set a Fallback Source. Then it automatically go to the Output Source that you choose. I use this because of my Headset. When I plug it in it changed automatically to the Headset but when I turn it off it would go to S/PDIF and not to my normal HDMI-Output. So I use pavucontrol and set there HDMI for that and it works for me.

2 Likes

Oh nice, I didn't know that, thanks! This did the trick. It should be configured by default, though for all the new users I think.

1 Like

You can simply install it over the Terminal if You want. Type sudo apt install pavucontrol

Is P-D-L's post #2 agreed as the "Solution"?
If true, can it be marked as the :ballot_box_with_check:Solution?

EDIT:
Ah. You can't whilst this is in "Feedback" section. Is it really Feedback or a Question?

1 Like

I think You could see it as Feedback in the Sense of Feedback for Functionality. My Comment was so more a Suggestion/Addition how to get with a Program the Function. It's a Mixture but ... in Field, haha!

1 Like

Feel free to move the thread, because it might help others when there is a solution marked.

As for the feature request, I think vanilla Zorins OS 17 should include pavucontrol. Or at least there should be a fallback device set as default.

1 Like

OK. I moved to General Help and marked the solution at post #2
I guess you could create a separate thread in Feedback if you wish, even link to this one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.