Fast battery draining issue (driver issue?)

Zorin OS 15.3 will be supported until April of 2023.

I would recommend Zorin 15.3 Lite. You may also opt for Zorin 16 Lite...

Battery life on Linux Operating systems tends to go a bit lower than on Windows, in general. It shouldn't be that remarkable of a difference. But in spite of Windows being more bloaty, it is true it manages the battery life a bit better.

2 Likes

And one more point, I've noticed that even though my CPU cores are reaching extremely high usage but I've noticed that I have about 2 GBs of free RAM. Is it something that shouldn't happen ?

You say you have high usage on your CPU cores, what apps or processes are eating up so much resources? If your CPU is being highly used, like I said before, thats going to kill your battery fast.

As far as RAM goes, I find that Linux is pretty good at managing it for the most part. For example, if you have 4GB of RAM, the OS should not allow itself to use more then 2GB of RAM. So, thats why I said it would be great to take Stacer screenshots.

1 Like

As far as I can tell there should be no problem with my laptop because of my running applications but somehow the system monitor will show those cpu spikes. I've once seen the CPUs spike because I started the terminal.

You might reinstall gnome-shell and some other applications to see if any were causing a memory leak...

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell nautilus gnome-control-center gnome-software

1 Like

My battery drops like crazy as well, within 15 min almost 30%. My laptop is from Dec 2017.

Have you calibrated it?

In linux ? i did nothing

I also checked in windows 10, my battery has lost 10% of life

Windows 10, 6 min test: https://imgur.com/W6jr4N4.jpg
Linux, 6 min test: https://imgur.com/PqVyrpQ.png

This gets a bit complex...
But a quick and easy summary would be:
"How does the system actually know how much time or life is left in a battery?"
The answer is not as simple as a Voltmeter or a clock. Instead, an algorithm must measure electron flow and then estimate the variables.

Let's say you put a AA battery into a wall clock. Given the initial charge and voltage and the steady use /droppage, this would be an easy estimate.
But on a notebook computer, it is nowhere near steady and can vary wildly from within minutes, to within seconds to within milliseconds.
When you have some idea how it works, you are amazed it works at all.

The best way to calibrate a new battery, especially if you have installed a new or different Operating System, is to charge it as high as it will go, then run it until it dies. Do not charge in between, just run it until its dead. Then charge up to full again. Usually about three repeats of this is enough to give the software a good range to start its estimations with.
That sounds tedious, but with only a little planning, is often easier than you might think to carry out.

1 Like

Ah oke, most of the time it's behind a cable haha. Yeah i know it's bad but for gaming (as it is a gaming notebook) it is better because if i don't plug it my games go down alot in fps

Previous post i added 5 min in Windows 10 on battery, will check linux now and edit that post again.

Honestly, I used my old Notebook before I got my current Tower as Always Plugged in. I have no idea what state my own battery was in. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well i compared it and it is a bit different already

Windows 10, idle 6 min test: 4% battery lost
Zorin OS 16, idle 4 min test: 5% battery lost

So yes linux does use more battery in that short time. Will idle linux a bit longer now

12:45 43% now, report back in 10 min

T-minus 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0

10-minutes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Zorin OS 16 64 bit:
Time: 12:45 --- 43% battery.
Time: 12:59 --- 35% battery.

Windows 10 64 bit Pro:
Time: 13:01 --- 32% battery.
Time: 13:11 --- 26% battery.

I don't think there is much of a difference here.

1 Like

This.
A few days ago I was losing a good percentage of battery and my CPUs were going crazy. Today I am running free file sync ( copying an ISO from zorin connect) running two browser windows and system monitor while the laptop is not plugged in and it is as smooth as it can go. Haven't done anything but it just fell in place.

1 Like

I like it when things fall into place and just work the way they are supposed to. It makes life so much less stressful. Better living when you can wake up with a smile on your face, and show the world, you have a happy heart. HEHE :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, it seems that I have pinned down the issue. The laptop starts to lag when it is plugged in. Have you ever seen this type of behaviour ? My CPUs started acting erratically as soon as I turned on the switch.

You could try the Grub Parameter intel_idle.max_cstate=0 if the kernel is not supporting Intel's power manager service.
You might check this thread, as well:

No, I have never heard of that. However, from your description, it almost sounds like there is something wrong with the power brick. Does the power brick work find with the computer when on Windows? If the answer is yes, that it may not be the power brick afterall, but that issue sure is throwing me for a loop.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.