Feature Suggestion-Multiple Monitor (Screen) Brightness

I use a Zenbook Pro Duo with two monitors on a daily basis. There is no ability to adjust the brightness settings of the second monitor in Zorin system settings. This means the second monitor is always too dim. It would be great to have full control settings for any second display the same as we have for the primary display. Seems like a huge oversight that this doesn't already exist.

You might try:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apandada1/brightness-controller

sudo apt update && sudo apt install brightness-controller

Launch the Brightness Controller app to adjust each monitor brightness settings.

Thanks. I've tried that. It doesn't affect brightness at the system level. It only adjust the brightness in relation to whatever the baseline of the system is already set to. So essentially all it is able to do is dim the display down but doesn't increase brightness.

1 Like

What is the output of

sudo lshw -C video

Have you checked the Monitors own hardware controls for screen brightness?

This is the output I get from that command.

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list fb
configuration: depth=32 latency=0 mode=3840x1100 visual=truecolor xres=3840 yres=1100
resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:620-61f memory:a3000000-a3ffffff memory:6000000000-61ffffffff memory:6200000000-6201ffffff ioport:3000(size=128) memory:a4000000-a407ffff
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: UHD Graphics
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 05
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: iomemory:620-61f iomemory:400-3ff irq:164 memory:625a000000-625affffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:4000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

By hardware controls do you mean physical buttons or knobs? There are none. I'm still a relative beginner with Linux so I don't know how to go about digging out controls for the monitor via Terminal.

I have never seen an external monitor that lacks these controls. They may exist, but wouldn't be common.
With these newer monitors, though, they may be really hard to see.

With my two monitors, for example, you must hover your finger over the area next to the Power Button and a menu will pop up on the screen. This is independent of the OS you are using, whether Windows, Linux or Mac. It is the monitors own programming.

You might do a net search based on your monitor Make and Model.

Everything there looks good...

I notice VGA - are you using any Adapter (HDMI or DP) or Splitter?

To be clear my Zenbook is a laptop with two monitors built into the body.
https://www.asus.com/us/laptops/for-home/zenbook/zenbook-pro-duo-15-oled-ux582-12th-gen-intel/

AHH... that is a whole different thing.

I see now why you categorized this as Feature Suggestion.

These posts may be helpful:

There is also the following; but I would try the posts above before doing anything with this additional installation:

Thanks so much for the help on this @Aravisian. I'll give these a try and let you know how it goes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.