Fedora Linux Talk thread

On data i will trying a cinnamon spin Fedora but first i must Discovery why i have black screen on monitor from cable HDMI>DP GPU. Maybe i missing something in bios on motherboard? I am also wondering if F37 support graphic GT 730?

I found information Linus Torvalds using Fedora 33

Remember to set up RPMfusion for extra stuff and multimedia codex.

1 Like

Yes, those were pretty much top of the list things to do. So far, I have no complaints :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Storm you are expert with Fedora.
Spin Fedora that's means the original Fedora but with diffrent DE?

Apparently you can download these with whatever DE you want: Fedora Spins

I haven't tried them and I don't even know if they are official images so maybe test in a virtual machine first.

1 Like

I will trying news Fedora 37 workstation. Start to learning new things. Why? Corporation don't gived us a choice we have but for new things we need little a learning and like we know who liked a school and teachers when we was a children?
That why i want gived a shoot.
Like someone sayed if you never tried to taste then how you know if this is good or bad for your preferences. New version they propably changing some little things. Why Fedora changing a little things? Because they want to check if people liked that and this is better for simple user with not overfull settings options and don't know where to click. Don't worry still i have a place for Zorin in my heart and it is with me. I want just only trying a some date with Fedora.

"You never know until you try."

I don't know... This saying never seemed very apt, to me.

I can see how that may apply when trying to help a person believe in themselves.
Or to help a person give something a chance.

But there are a great many things that I do not need to try to know that I won't like it.
As an extreme, but reasonably forum safe example: I do not need to try being set on fire to know quite well that I won't like it.

3 Likes

After trying out a few extensions and tweaks, all I really need are some minor adjustments to the default DE experience.

Gnome Tweaks:

• Minimize button on the title bar.
  • Center new windows.

Gnome Extensions

• Rounded Window Corners, for aesthetic consistency.

Everything else I've tried so far seems unnecessary or redundant.

EDIT: although not without their own issues... in this case toggling the rounded corner extension fixed it but not a good sign:

1 Like

@Storm Propably something for you with customization.

1 Like

The unthinkable happened: after trying to shutdown my computer it went ahead and install some updates!

I think overall I'm not entirely satisfied with Fedora as I've run into a few bugs, which I could say they are more annoyances rather than real problems, but still.
The most notable one is when I launch a program, it doesn't immediately become available when I switch between open windows with Ctrl+Tab, it takes a few seconds.

Another one is the screenshot I share above where parts of the window would sometimes not render properly. It's an easy fix: just resize the window a bit, but annoying either way.

The other day I tested some flatpak and in order to run it required runtime/org.fedoraproject.Platform/x86_64/f37, which aside from the fact it was ~700Mb, everything was fine. Except I noticed it took considerably longer to boot and shutdown since I installed it, and when I remove it from my system boot times when back to the original ~20 seconds or so.

And now this... yikes.

Overall it's a good experience, but I think I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I will stick with it for a couple more months just to give it a fair chance, although I might switch to Silverblue or Kinoite just to see what this immutable OS is all about.

I wondering what is a diffrents with Fedora Cinnamon and Mint Cinnamon?
The diffrents are ubuntu and redhat also kernel version?
It could be also Fedora is for programmers and they need newest software to creating a kernel?

i'm on fedora but i miss zorin taskbar. it's not available for the newer gnome version

Just about to give this Fedora based distro a try. It comes with some theme modification and proprietary codecs.Download Nobara

This is a keeper for me , latest gnome, latest kernel , Lurtis and Steam pre-installed. 6 desktop layouts, synaptic like package manager,and more.

2 Likes

Which DE Nobara is it? Original or some another image.iso?

I used the first link. Nobara also comes with OnlyOffice which I like. Not a huge fan of Libadwaitia, but it looks nice with the default papirus icons.The extensions manager is pre-installed with a good selection including the arc menu as default.

I tried on vm first and trying understandable diffrents from xfce and gnome also ubuntu and red hat but Nobara isn;t a spin Fedora.

Rate this project Nobara Project is a modified version of Fedora Linux with user-friendly fixes added to it. The distribution comes with certain features that do not ship with the regular Fedora, such as WINE dependencies, OBS Studio, 3rd party codec packages for GStreamer, NVIDIA drivers, and some package fixes. Nobara's latest release is based on Fedora 37:

1 Like